Azooxanthellate corals

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In July I began a project to learn how to grow azooxanthellate corals. It's a challenge, but so far, so good. Here are some photos of some of my small collection.
Gary

Dendrophyllia
dendrophyllia10-12-10a.jpg

Balanophyllia
balanophyllia10-12-10.jpg

Scleronephthya
schleroclam10-3103.jpg

Unknown
unknown10-3101.jpg

Nephthyigorgia
nephthyigorgia9-19-1001.jpg

Scleronephthya
sclero9-19-1001.jpg

Dendronephthya
dendrotentacles01.jpg

Scleronephthya with pest visitor that is no longer with us
scleronephthya9-24-10a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Speg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love this stuff. Full tank?

Since these aren't concerned about light, do the polyps stay out 24/7?

OP
OP
gparr

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speg, Thanks. My small collection occupies about 20% of a 40 breeder. The rest of the tank is occupied by a large yellow Fiji leather, a clam, some pipe organs, and SaraB's chalice collection, which I'm caring for while we work on some issues she's having with her system. Eventually, the entire tank will be azoox corals, though I may just light one end of the tank and keep the clam and the Fiji leather because they are superb water filters.

No, the polyps don't stay out all of the time. They are very much like leathers in that they will close up for a period of time for no apparent reason. However, when there's food in the water, they usually open. Food must be in the water most of the time for the Scleronephthya corals (I have three colonies) in particular.

Azoox corals are fun for me because they present the ultimate challenge: Can you keep pristine water conditions while feeding corals as much as possible. I've only been doing this since July, so I'm an absolute rookie at this. If things are still cooking along next July, I'll feel like I've achieved some success.

Here's a shot of my Tubastrea colony.

Gary

gptubastreaflash01a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

DaveDunbar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gary They all look great!! Can you tell us about what you are feeding them and what are you using for filtration? This is something I have always wanted to do!! Gary if you dont mind I'm going to link this to my Reef club site bnreef.com
Thanks
Dave

OP
OP
gparr

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dave,
I'm feeding a "cocktail" of Fauna Marin Seafan, Min D, and Min F; Rod's Food coral mix; RotiFeast; Cyclopeez; and Two Little Fishies Phytoplan. I'm target and broadcast feeding as much as possible during the day, mainly several times in the morning and then from the time I get home until 11:00 or midnight. Filtration is a ASM G2 skimmer, 15-gal. weekly water changes, and carbon and GFO in a BRS reactor. Carbon gets changed out every two weeks. I have been using Instant Ocean Natural Nitrate Reducer, but am starting to get a little cyano, so have cut back on that dramatically. Flow is the return from a Mag 9 and a Vortech MP40 at about half speed.

I caution anyone who is considering this that I'm feeling good about my efforts so far, but four months doesn't really count, especially when it comes to the Scleronephthya and Nephthyigorgia. Many have had their Scleros do well for about six months and then die. Nephthyigorgia are more tolerant. Dendrophyllia, Balanophyllia, and Tubastrea are relatively easy. I just stuff them full of Rod's Food Pacific Plankton every two or three days and they're happy. This is a long-term venture requiring patience and persistence. If I still have everything growing and thriving next July, I'll feel as if I'm making progress. If you want to read about people who are successful long-term, go to the RC Non-photosynthetic forum and focus on threads from Aquabac, Uhuru, and Slapshot. Those guys are setting the standard. I'm just a green rookie trying to learn the ropes.
Gary

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow these photos are unreal bro! Thanks for sharing!

NanoNano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah those really are some amazing photos. Would love to see a video of your feedings.

Piper27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like your pics, what kind of camera do you use? My camera phone and camcorder do no justice for me when taking pics. Did you had the black suns to your collection yet? I am going to add a Rhizo in the future when I am rich to my collection. I have alot of the ones you have pictured but I would love to know what that little suncoral/dendro looking thing in the sponge like tube is called.

OP
OP
gparr

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to all for the compliments.

Piper, I used a Canon 7D for those shots. I do not have the black Tubastrea. Hope to get a colony soon. I have no idea what the "Unknown" coral is and nobody I've asked has been able to ID it. It is a hitchhiker that came with one of my Sclero colonies and they are multiplying/growing.

Stun, yes they currently are very happy. My fingers are crossed and crossed again. I'll feel more confident when I get to the 6-month mark with those colonies.

Gary

Lowsingle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great pics, how long have you had the Scleronephthya?

cheers,
Darren

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really sweet looking pics and corals!

Are christmas tree corals azooxanthellate corals?
p-84783-christmas-tree.jpg

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ver nice corals and shots!

How do you get the black background on them?

OP
OP
gparr

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KLR, yes

Clowns, Thanks. These are shot with remote flash in subdued light or in the dark.

Gary

ataylo13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The shots look great Gary. I have also tried the Azooxanthellate tank and it can get very tricky. I have had lots of success with tubastreas, dendros, tube worms (coco and Christmas), and a few sponges. I have tried a few tunicates with little success. I picked up a small piece of a tiger sponge this weekend, and I have my fingers crossed. Good luck with the tank and keep the photos coming.

OP
OP
gparr

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Yes, tricky would be a good word. I've done tons of research, am going very slowly, and being very consistent/persistent in my husbandry. I was braced for an algae explosion early on in the process, but haven't experienced one (fingers crossed) yet. It's a long, slow process, but the corals are worth it.
Gary

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 69 34.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 51 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 63 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.0%
Back