Horrid smell after pruning coral

dangros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HELP!

Today, I decided to do a little overdue maint on my neglected tank. I reset the gurgling siphon and cut back on some coral that is way overgrown in my 90g tank. Some of it is now growing out of the water and algae was forming on the dying parts that were too high over the water line. Due to the maint on the siphon, the waterline dropped about 1/4 to 1/2 inch, making some of the coral stick out even more. I'm not sure which of these activities (which I did before) caused it but a few minutes later, the tank began to stink up the house. It smells like sewage and is pretty strong.
What is it?! Is it dangerous? It's quite cold out here in the DC/VA area but I opened to windows and we all went upstairs where it's not stinky. I am concerned for us and my children. I've had this tank for over 10 years and other ones for over 20, this has never happened.
Here's some video I took to identify whats in there.

And here's a video of the coral that is stick up out of the water.

I honestly no longer remember the name of the corals as the tank has been on auto pilot for a few years now and I haven't changed much of anything. I added some carbon to the filter socks and even dumped a sock with some in it into the overflow. I also moved back the siphon so the water level returns to the higher level (which I do not want long term). Not sure what to do.

OP
OP
dangros

dangros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Low tide smell?

There's a reason for the water in the toilet and it isn't just for flushing ;)
kinda but on steroids. Not your normal low tide that I get when I've done manual water changes. It smells like sulfur, maybe sewage. It made my wife have a headache

ReefStable

Reef Stable
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance there was a dead snail you pulled out? Kinda sounds like the smell you're describing.

OP
OP
dangros

dangros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did pull a shell that had a blue mushroom attached to it. Took it out and washed it to kill the mushroom - Note there's a ton of blue mushrooms that are growing out of control to the right of the frog spawn. I washed it in the kitchen sink which is in the next room. Then I emptied it, and dumped it back in the tank. The smell seems to be coming from the tank, surface of it.

As you may of seen in the 1st video, the white marks on the Stylos, I broke off a lot. I took it outside and put in on the deck to dry up so I can break it up and use it in my CalRx

Last edited:
OP
OP
dangros

dangros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
status update: Smell seems to have cleared out according to the wife which has a much better sense of smell than I. But it was really bad for an hour so I have a great amount of concern. I breathed a lot in. My poor lungs have suffered greatly over the years - as if they needed more sulfur smell :face-with-tears-of-joy:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
HELP!

Today, I decided to do a little overdue maint on my neglected tank. I reset the gurgling siphon and cut back on some coral that is way overgrown in my 90g tank. Some of it is now growing out of the water and algae was forming on the dying parts that were too high over the water line. Due to the maint on the siphon, the waterline dropped about 1/4 to 1/2 inch, making some of the coral stick out even more. I'm not sure which of these activities (which I did before) caused it but a few minutes later, the tank began to stink up the house. It smells like sewage and is pretty strong.
What is it?! Is it dangerous? It's quite cold out here in the DC/VA area but I opened to windows and we all went upstairs where it's not stinky. I am concerned for us and my children. I've had this tank for over 10 years and other ones for over 20, this has never happened.
Here's some video I took to identify whats in there.

And here's a video of the coral that is stick up out of the water.

I honestly no longer remember the name of the corals as the tank has been on auto pilot for a few years now and I haven't changed much of anything. I added some carbon to the filter socks and even dumped a sock with some in it into the overflow. I also moved back the siphon so the water level returns to the higher level (which I do not want long term). Not sure what to do.
Very typical and try smelling your fingers after handling - Yuk

OP
OP
dangros

dangros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very typical and try smelling your fingers after handling - Yuk
Haha, my hands smelled like they always did after the work. The tank was far more offensive today. I just went back and the surface of the tank water and it's still a bit there.
I do have a theory. Sometimes, gasses get caught in the sandbed, etc. I did pull on the coral structures trying to break some off and in doing so, moved the whole thing. One of them on a giant "dead" rock about 18" in diam. It could be possible that I rocked it and released a bunch of gasses that were trapped but this much??? And again, it was a stench that was seriously offensive! Far worse than a regular cleaning, etc. Like I've said, I've been doing this for a LONG time! Since... the 90s.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Haha, my hands smelled like they always did after the work. The tank was far more offensive today. I just went back and the surface of the tank water and it's still a bit there.
I do have a theory. Sometimes, gasses get caught in the sandbed, etc. I did pull on the coral structures trying to break some off and in doing so, moved the whole thing. One of them on a giant "dead" rock about 18" in diam. It could be possible that I rocked it and released a bunch of gasses that were trapped but this much??? And again, it was a stench that was seriously offensive! Far worse than a regular cleaning, etc. Like I've said, I've been doing this for a LONG time! Since... the 90s.
Your theory is correct and both lab grade carbon (i use chemipure blue) and a fan helps

BigMonkeyBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HYDROGEN SULFIDE pocket under the rock would be my guess. It doesn't take much to stink up the house.

You did the right thing when you opened the window.

Probably happens !

“So let it be written, so let it be done”I

OP
OP
dangros

dangros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
chemipure blue
I usually have a ton of BRS AC but ran out. I had to use some second rate carbon my son purchased at the petsmart for a school project.

Is the chemipure blue any better than BRS AC?
It seems really expensive off amazon

BigMonkeyBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually have a ton of BRS AC but ran out. I had to use some second rate carbon my son purchased at the petsmart for a school project.

MarineLand Diamond Media Premium Activated Carbon, Blacks & Grays, 40-Ounce (PA0373)​

Works well.

Probably happens !

“So let it be written, so let it be done”I

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

A pouch lasts 4 months and also lowers and keeps phosphate in check. Ive been using it 20+ years

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back