Need input on Really nice Scolys rescued from a crashed tank

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 1, 2018
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,182
Location
NJ
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for everybody, I just acquired several Scolys, Goniaporas as well as a jawbreaker from a tank crash. I noticed brown jelly on a torch Coral in that tank whcih was on top of the tank, which I left. Should I dip these corals before trying to rescue them or leave them since they are already stressed? If I dip, the only solution I have is the hydrogen peroxide method for brown jelly disease. I do not see any of it on these corals, but I did see some of it attached to a torch Coral in that tank. Thoughts
Right now I just removed from the crashed tank water and have them in clean salt water. Any input would be greatly appreciated these Scolys are beautiful! I don’t want to lose them
 
Question for everybody, I just acquired several Scolys, Goniaporas as well as a jawbreaker from a tank crash. I noticed brown jelly on a torch Coral in that tank whcih was on top of the tank, which I left. Should I dip these corals before trying to rescue them or leave them since they are already stressed? If I dip, the only solution I have is the hydrogen peroxide method for brown jelly disease. I do not see any of it on these corals, but I did see some of it attached to a torch Coral in that tank. Thoughts
Right now I just removed from the crashed tank water and have them in clean salt water. Any input would be greatly appreciated these Scolys are beautiful! I don’t want to lose them
dipping in hydrogen peroxide can stress and even kill the scolys, how are they currently looking?
 
Five of them look good two of them have some of the skeletons showing I saw the brown jelly disease on the torch. I don’t see any of it on the Scolys



image.jpg
 
Five of them look good two of them have some of the skeletons showing I saw the brown jelly disease on the torch. I don’t see any of it on the Scolys



image.jpg
the good thing is theres no massive flesh loss and all seems recoverable easily for the scolys, do you have another established tank for them to go into for recovery?
 
It was a friends tank he has a 400 gallon and a 20 gallon. Someone thought they would help him during the holidays and dumped all the food meant for the 400 gallon in the 20 gallon. Needless to say they fuc!!ed up tank crashed and killed just about everything.
 
It was a friends tank he has a 400 gallon and a 20 gallon. Someone thought they would help him during the holidays and dumped all the food meant for the 400 gallon in the 20 gallon. Needless to say they fuc!!ed up tank crashed and killed just about everything.

Got it so your main tank is completely fine to put them in, I would definitely keep a good eye on them. Is there anything in there that may pick at them?
Another good thing is scolymia are pretty hardy sometimes hardier than people give them credit for so as long as parameters are stable and in check they should heal up and look great in time
 
Great. Large tank is stable. Just battling higher phosphates right now but I’m dosing Lathum chloride and got it down to .15 from .30 it’s slowly declining with the Lanthanum
I have a flame angel and small bi color in there, but I don’t ever notice them picking up anything Coral wise
 
All of them are recoverable! 100 par, feed a few small lps pellets daily if they take them. Clear plastic cup with a bunch of holes placed over them during feeding if you have active scavengers. Small water changes to keep everything stable. Reef energy is also good with filtration off for 15-20 min.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 17.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 15.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new