B-Ionic Alk and Calc. Am I adding too quickly

tunde1228

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I don't know if I am adding my 2 part too fast. I have a 45 gallon tank with fish and corals. I was told to start adding the B-Ionic 2 part mix (Alk and Calcium) to help with the coral growth. When I started my calcium was 350 and my alk was 4. Now I am at 400 calc and 6.5 alk. Seems right so far. But I have only added once a week for the past month, and I only use 8ml of each. (they call for 10ml). My question is how fast do I add. I have been using the little measuring cups they give you on the top bottle and pouring it in very slowly in front of a powerhead, one dose then the next. I see some people using a drip line or an iv line. Thank you

FaviaFreak

Weir Everywhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I add 10ml daily to a 24g Nano...sounds like your on the right path although alk appears to be a bit low..what test kit are you using to measure?

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully your alk is in dkh units.

It does seem you are doing fine.

I use the diy two part and with it you first get calc.alk.magnesium all alligned and then add the calc and alk when alk drops. that way you dose according to what the tank's calcium consumption is.

here is a handy on line calculator.

Reef Chemistry Calculator

my .02

gilmour01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ignore what the bottle says (its only a rough guide) and find out how much you need to dose to keep your alk and Ca in the proper ranges. i prefer daily dosing to weekly dosing as it helps to promote stability in the system. with weekly dosing its more like a roller coaster. i use 10ml of each daily in a 30g mixed reef.

rroselavy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You almost balanced. 407ppm Ca @ 6.5dkh is perfectly balanced. You could probably do this by dosing only the Ca component the next two times, then return to a balanced dose. Continue until you hit 425ppm Ca @ 9.0dkh.

Randy's article is great for figuring out corrective measures:

Chemistry and the Aquarium

Magnesium will be important to test and dose as well. Get Mg around 1300-1350ppm. It will make your Ca/Alk dosing less of a struggle.

Kalkwasser is also a way to maintain your Ca/Alk levels (and elevate pH) once Ca/Alk reach the target zone.

aerius007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People use the drip method because its keeps things more stable throughout the day, doesnt spike ph, and means they dont have to dose manualy every day. Adding how you are is fine, just not "optimal." If you plan on continuing with dosing I can suggest that you get in the group buy our club is doing for BRS. You get enough calc and alk to make around 8 gallons of mix, plus a few gallons of mag. It comes with gallon containers, measuring cups and they have a calculator on their site to tell you how much to add to get the levels you want. It costs around $50+shipping with the group buy discount.

UC / Apsley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
best time is right before lights on, you want your Ph the highest during photosynthesis

aerius007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^ right, your ph will be lowest before the lights come on. When you add the alk it will spike your ph for a few minutes and you really dont want to spike it later in the day when your ph is high. Calc, as far as I know, really doesnt matter when its added.

TBohinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lightly stocked small cube and I do 5ml 3 times a week and it keeps the levels in line. you have to kind out what the tank is using

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back