BA system working as intended?

fogcutter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi gang,

So I just got my tank and have been doing my leak tests with some dry fit plumbing. Got my BA overflow system installed and running.

My question is when the BA system is working as intended, the only sounds you should hear is water trickling down the non-siphon channel. Is that correct?

Also, I'm getting a few micro bubbles from the siphon into the sump...I'm guessing that's because somewhere I have an air leak in the plumbing along the line?

Thanks all.

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you haven't glued the plumbing, there is a possibility the negative pressure is pulling air into the siphon.

I wouldn't be worried about a few bubbles to be honest, but would definitely glue it up :)

Agreed, you should only hear a trickle (or even less) going down the second overflow tube. It can be extremely quiet if tuned perfectly.

OP
OP
fogcutter

fogcutter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Pretty much what I figured and the bubbles don't worry me....just curious as to why they are there.

mixer911

Make them green with envy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are getting air in your primary drain line then you definitely have a air leak somewhere in the plumbing.
For noise that is a relative question to how the BA system is designed. It will depend on flow rates and the size of plumbing used. Higher flow rates with smaller plumbing be noisier (comparatively) than lower flow rates with larger plumbing.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back