baby ghost ribbon eel

alexytman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I raised this baby (it double in size to now maybe almost a foot) I'm wondering whether there will be problems keeping it with an adult ribbon eel. I've seen it in a lot of LPS in my area do that. Also will a dwarf fuzzy go after it?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be fine, I don't have 2 ribbon eels, but my ribbon eel is in my Lion's Reef, they really pay him no mind. They just get aggravated when he snatches a molly or ghostie right from under their noses.

You are a brave fellow for keeping 2 ribbon eels and a fuzzy, what do you feed them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
alexytman

alexytman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be fine, I don't have 2 ribbon eels, but my ribbon eel is in my Lion's Reef, they really pay him no mind. They just get aggravated when he snatches a molly or ghostie right from under their noses.

You are a brave fellow for keeping 2 ribbon eels and a fuzzy, what do you feed them.
Tbh I'm more scared if the fuzzys their mouths are double the diameter of the eel. Though the eel is like 4 times it's length

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tbh I'm more scared if the fuzzys their mouths are double the diameter of the eel. Though the eel is like 4 times it's length

It's the length, they need to slurp it up in one swallow. It's not like they chew.

OP
OP
alexytman

alexytman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the length, they need to slurp it up in one swallow. It's not like they chew.
Can they not do what frogfishes do? Slowly swallon after bite? My friend had his goby eaten like that.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never seen it, I've kept lions and anglers with small eels and they have never looked twice at them. An angler can eat something the same size as themselves but I've never seen them even interested in something twice or more their length. The largest, longest fish I've ever seen one of my lions eat was almost, not quite 2/3 their length. I hold that nothing is impossible, so dont do it if you are concerned.

It's always best to err on the side of caution, sounds like your eel needs to grow more to be safe.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 29 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.0%
Back