Baby zebra eel not so reefsafe

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Picasso was only about 3 inches. It was a cool little fish but dang was it a jerk. He would chase 6 & 7 inch tangs away from the nori clip. I lost him to velvet so I didn't get to see if he would mellow or get worse with age. I have a hunch it would have been the later. Kinda sucked because it was one of the first saltwater fish I fell in love with in the lfs as a child. My first one wasn't as bad but I lost it to a hoddoni. I guess a Picasso just isn't in the cards.
Ill keep an eye on mine! She likes to steal food from the eels if they dont pull it in their cave fast enough but isnt dumb enough to stick her nose in there. Right now she just throws sand all over lol most annoying thing she does as of now

cshplumber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't see the eel well in the pics but it looks very similar to my BANDED EEL. You might want to confirm it's ID

mtfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure of the ID, but the zebra (and I think the banded eel) are crustacean eaters. You keep talking about vegan eel, what do you feed yours? Not sure what you mean by that. They will not bother fish, but my zebra will take out any shrimp it can find and has done in small urchins also.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey, they said /reef/ safe, not shrimp safe.

But, yeah, that's a predator. It will never not be a predator. Best do some research on here to learn the best diet for them- they can be a bit tricky.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back