Back after almost 20 years.

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

We are in a similar position as I just got back into this after being away for 20 years. My 120gal has only been wet for about 3 months now, so you can get an idea how my mostly dry rock tank has progressed so far in the build thread.

I personally think the posture people take on dry vs live rock is a bit overblown. Both have pros and cons, and in the end you have to decide which shortcomings you want to live with.

I went with mostly dry rock, and then added about 25% of mature rock from my LFS when I filled the tank with water. I use the word mature because these days many only consider live rock "Live" if it is straight from the ocean. The stuff sitting in wet bins at your LFS is certainly biologically active, but doesn't have as much biodiversity as the ocean rock. Or so they say.

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’m actually researching that right now. I know some have mentioned reef octopus as well as some other names. But I’m hoping for any suggestions. It will be put in a 40 gallon sump under the tank.
Reef octopus makes great skimmers. I actually have one rated for 125 gallons sitting around if you’re interested in saving a few bucks, send me a message. As far as rock goes, you can save some money building out with dry rock and adding some live rock to get the bio diversity. There good old days of pacific live rock are pretty much gone, unless you want to pay $25/lb for Australian rock but you can get some decent maricultured rock out of Florida at a decent price.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Welcome.gif

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any advantage to starting out with a mixture of live rock and dry rock besides being less expensive than doing all live rock at once? Thanks!

No just price. Alot cheaper. And after 6 months the rest of the rocks will be covered with stuff just like original rocks. Of course the more the live rock you use the faster the cycle. All live rock and its instant cycle.

OP
OP
mikebusc

mikebusc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

We are in a similar position as I just got back into this after being away for 20 years. My 120gal has only been wet for about 3 months now, so you can get an idea how my mostly dry rock tank has progressed so far in the build thread.

I personally think the posture people take on dry vs live rock is a bit overblown. Both have pros and cons, and in the end you have to decide which shortcomings you want to live with.

I went with mostly dry rock, and then added about 25% of mature rock from my LFS when I filled the tank with water. I use the word mature because these days many only consider live rock "Live" if it is straight from the ocean. The stuff sitting in wet bins at your LFS is certainly biologically active, but doesn't have as much biodiversity as the ocean rock. Or so they say.
I just checked out your build thread. I like your ideas. And thanks for the LR info.
I actually have the same problem with the stand that came with my 125. It's too narrow and there's shelving in the middle and doors on either end. It was a package deal from Petsmart (or Petco, I forget which), but I knew I was buying it for the tank only as it was a good deal. I've decided to build my own now. I've begun gathering stand builds I've been finding online.
Much luck with your reef!

OP
OP
mikebusc

mikebusc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef octopus makes great skimmers. I actually have one rated for 125 gallons sitting around if you’re interested in saving a few bucks, send me a message. As far as rock goes, you can save some money building out with dry rock and adding some live rock to get the bio diversity. There good old days of pacific live rock are pretty much gone, unless you want to pay $25/lb for Australian rock but you can get some decent maricultured rock out of Florida at a decent price.
Thanks! Good to know. I'm just thinking about all the LR I gave away when I got out of it long ago! I've messaged you also.

OP
OP
mikebusc

mikebusc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No just price. Alot cheaper. And after 6 months the rest of the rocks will be covered with stuff just like original rocks. Of course the more the live rock you use the faster the cycle. All live rock and its instant cycle.
Is there a difference in types of dry rock? Can I get if from any supplier and is that what its actually called, just dry rock? Thanks.

dyno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha! I actually always assumed I was going to start out with LR it's just that I never knew starting with dry rock was a thing.
Good to hear. It is a thing but not a modern change I’ve accepted (also being a 20year marine aquaria veteran) When you are ready you will have very few choices 1) Atlantic rock from a company like KP Aquatics or Tampa Bay Saltwater or 2) Pacific Australian rock - new swaggy but expensive rock that has started being sold last year or two.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nice thing about dry rock, one can build their scape outside of the tank, walk away for a day or two then come back and make changes. Also there are vendors that sell dry rock in all shapes and sizes.

Curved R2R Welcome 3-31-23 2.0 White.png

OP
OP
mikebusc

mikebusc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nice thing about dry rock, one can build their scape outside of the tank, walk away for a day or two then come back and make changes. Also there are vendors that sell dry rock in all shapes and sizes.

g li
I like the idea of that, but what are you losing if not starting with live rock? Like all the microorganisms and things that help establish the tank? As my thread title implies it's been a while but when I was doing this before using live rock was the only thing talked about and the best way to start your reef.

OP
OP
mikebusc

mikebusc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Been looking for places. There's a huge retail store near me (within 50 miles) that I used to go to for Fiji rock as well as many other types. Today they have Real Reef and EcoRock manmade (currently out of stock) for 7.90 and 5.90 per lb respectively . Is this the normal price range now? I haven't been there yet to actually inspect them. Besides that I've also checked out some online. But I'm ruling out any that I need to pick up at the airport.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.1%
Back