Back after nearly 30 years

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to get back into the hobby after about 30 years, and I must say that things have certainly changed! Under gravel filters were all the rage and bio ball setups were becoming popular. Keeping coral was all but impossible for everyone but the most dedicated. Anyway, here's my new to me 80 gallon set up. It's ready for water as soon as I get something to cover the back so I don't have to look at the wall.

tank.jpg

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to get back into the hobby after about 30 years, and I must say that things have certainly changed! Under gravel filters were all the rage and bio ball setups were becoming popular. Keeping coral was all but impossible for everyone but the most dedicated. Anyway, here's my new to me 80 gallon set up. It's ready for water as soon as I get something to cover the back so I don't have to look at the wall.

tank.jpg
Welcome back!

Xniv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back to the hobby! There's always something that draws you back to saltwater.

OP
OP
JayM

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got tired of the fake rock and the cheesy background almost immediately, so I did a thing about 2 weeks ago.
And before anyone gives me grief about the obviously fake anemone, it's what I use to gauge flow in different spots. I just haven't pulled it out yet as I'm still experimenting with some different flow settings/powerhead placement.

One of these days I'll brush up on my phone photography skills and get a decent pic without all of the background reflections.

tank2.jpg

Quick video. Just mute the volume as the background noise is irritating.

Last edited:

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back! :) Looks like you're off to a great start!

Remember; if it worked 30 years ago- it will also work today! :) Biology hasn't changed. Technology might- but not to worry! ;)

OP
OP
JayM

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it happened. Ich reared it's ugly head. Got my Lemonpeel, Midas Blenny, 2 Springeri Damsels and a Clownfish. Everyone else is in copper for the next month.

Some things I learned:

Firefish are called dartfish for a very good reason. dang near impossible to catch even after there's no rock in the tank. YWG's aren't any easier.

LPS corals don't mind living in a trash can for a few hours.

Red legged hermit crabs can survive sitting on the kitchen counter for 3 hours.

It's impossible to put your rockscape back the way it was no matter how many pictures you take.

I've never been a fan of QT. I'm going to have to reconsider.

Last edited:

ChrisfromBrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all.

I don’t even have water in this thing and I’m trying to figure out where I can fit a bigger tank.
Thats happening to me after a 15 year hiatus from the hobby and only about 2 months back in. I'm already picturing a 4 foot long and 2 feet wide tank, and that isn't even considered large in the hobby. 70G right now.

Back