Back Again ....Custom 125g

commonstranger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I look in when I get time to see what's going on in the club and with that being said I probably need to pay my dues (if someone can tell me where to pay I'll get that took care of). So I have been in the hobby for over 10 years in and out. I have some elaborate systems and some small ones as well. You do not have to have a big system to have a gorgeous aquarium. At one time I designed and installed systems in businesses and residences as well. My dad passed away last year and I have struggled with that and have not had the motivation to look after an aquarium as a matter a fact I tore down my last system (45g) when he went in to the hospital just before he passed. I have purchased a new system and luckily saved my old sump "The Beast" which I am excited to plumb back together. So this will be the new build and hopefully a long term mature and successful system.

Aquarium : 60 x 22 x 22 125 Gallons Completely Rimless and Brace less. All edges are beveled. It has a grey PVC bottom and two one inch bulk heads in the bottom of the tank for the return lines. I have a Synergy Reef 18" Ghost Overflow on the back wall. Rick and his company build a solid product and I have known him for years and am glad to give him my business especially it being a local company.

Sump: 48 x 24 x 30 150 Gallons Its not quiet what it seems. Look at the pics and you can tell that the black center section is approximate 60 gallon cube that sets about a half inch off the bottom to allow the first and last section of the sump to keep the same water level at all times. The center section I will have a separate break off section from one of the drains to allow a slower turn over rate in the refugium area. Skimmer is a internal Reef Octopus for now(bought this used to save a lil money till I find a external one that I like).

Return pump for Aquarium is an Iwaki MD-70RLT-115 which is 1,536 gallons a hour.
Return pump for RO/DI System: Blue Line Aqua High Pressure Pump: cant remember the GPH on this but the head pressure will be able to handle it to get it to the sump from the garage.
RODI System : Is a five stage system with dual color changing resin in the last two chambers to polish the water off. The storage containers are two commercial grade 65 gallon vertical tanks. One will store salt water and the other fresh water. I have pumbed it in a way where I can turn the ball valves and select if I want salt or fresh water pumped upstairs or if I want it to drain out in the garage to fill up jugs is I need too. I have also plumbed the system in a way where water changes will be much easier. Note: The same one inch pipe that returns water to the sump from the water storage containers is also the same pipe that will serve as the drain from the sump back to the garage (It changes by which ball vale I have opened or closed). I will have a long hose that I attach and place in the drain at my driveway. Once the water is drained from my sump (probably 40g water changes) I will be able to turn on the pump in the garage and pump water from the water storage containers back to the sump upstairs. I really hope this turns out well.

As far as circulation goes I have one Gyre pump and will probably have two MP40. Lighting will consist of two Ecotech Radio Pros. I will go in to more detail in the circulation and lighting at a later time. I will post more pics as things progress. Time has not been on my side so I work on it with what free time I have. Any suggestions, advice or questions would be appreciated. All the best !!!

20190409_093815_resized.jpg 20190408_090743_resized.jpg 20190401_135541_resized.jpg 20190401_135548_resized.jpg 20190408_083516_resized.jpg 20190409_093840_resized.jpg 20190409_100713_resized.jpg 20190409_100718_resized.jpg 20190409_172959_resized.jpg 20190409_103013_resized.jpg 20190409_103017_resized.jpg

Last edited:

DeeFromBrooklyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I look in when I get time to see what's going on in the club and with that being said I probably need to pay my dues (if someone can tell me where to pay I'll get that took care of). So I have been in the hobby for over 10 years in and out. I have some elaborate systems and some small ones as well. You do not have to have a big system to have a gorgeous aquarium. At one time I designed and installed systems in businesses and residences as well. My dad passed away last year and I have struggled with that and have not had the motivation to look after an aquarium as a matter a fact I tore down my last system (45g) when he went in to the hospital just before he passed. I have purchased a new system and luckily saved my old sump "The Beast" which I am excited to plumb back together. So this will be the new build and hopefully a long term mature and successful system.

Aquarium : 60 x 22 x 22 125 Gallons Completely Rimless and Brace less. All edges are beveled. It has a grey PVC bottom and two one inch bulk heads in the bottom of the tank for the return lines. I have a Synergy Reef 18" Ghost Overflow on the back wall. Rick and his company build a solid product and I have known him for years and am glad to give him my business especially it being a local company.

Sump: 48 x 24 x 30 150 Gallons Its not quiet what it seems. Look at the pics and you can tell that the black center section is approximate 60 gallon cube that sets about a half inch off the bottom to allow the first and last section of the sump to keep the same water level at all times. The center section I will have a separate break off section from one of the drains to allow a slower turn over rate in the refugium area. Skimmer is a internal Reef Octopus for now(bought this used to save a lil money till I find a external one that I like).

Return pump for Aquarium is an Iwaki MD-70RLT-115 which is 1,536 gallons a hour.
Return pump for RO/DI System: Blue Line Aqua High Pressure Pump: cant remember the GPH on this but the head pressure will be able to handle it to get it to the sump from the garage.
RODI System : Is a five stage system with dual color changing resin in the last two chambers to polish the water off. The storage containers are two commercial grade 65 gallon vertical tanks. One will store salt water and the other fresh water. I have pumbed it in a way where I can turn the ball valves and select if I want salt or fresh water pumped upstairs or if I want it to drain out in the garage to fill up jugs is I need too. I have also plumbed the system in a way where water changes will be much easier. Note: The same one inch pipe that returns water to the sump from the water storage containers is also the same pipe that will serve as the drain from the sump back to the garage (It changes by which ball vale I have opened or closed). I will have a long hose that I attach and place in the drain at my driveway. Once the water is drained from my sump (probably 40g water changes) I will be able to turn on the pump in the garage and pump water from the water storage containers back to the sump upstairs. I really hope this turns out well.

As far as circulation goes I have one Gyre pump and will probably have two MP40. Lighting will consist of two Ecotech Radio Pros. I will go in to more detail in the circulation and lighting at a later time. I will post more pics as things progress. Time has not been on my side so I work on it with what free time I have. Any suggestions, advice or questions would be appreciated. All the best !!!

20190409_093815_resized.jpg 20190408_090743_resized.jpg 20190401_135541_resized.jpg 20190401_135548_resized.jpg 20190408_083516_resized.jpg 20190409_093840_resized.jpg 20190409_100713_resized.jpg 20190409_100718_resized.jpg 20190409_172959_resized.jpg 20190409_103013_resized.jpg 20190409_103017_resized.jpg
I hope you post video of this nice build

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NICE. Welcome back. Only thing that scares me is the power hog pumps. LOL. I switched to DC, and my electric loved me for it.

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m setting up a 130g (59x24x22) too! Just placed my order today. You’re a bit ahead of me and much more experienced. Looking forward to mooching off your knowledge;)
Do you have a list of fish you’re planning on keeping?

OP
OP
commonstranger

commonstranger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the plumbing is 95% complete for the tank and the RO System. It is a bit crude but I'm fine with that. Functionality is what is most important to me when it comes to plumbing and husbandry matters. The easier something is to clean and maintain the more likely it is you will do it. The tank is filling up now and I have already checked the overflow box for leaks and I am good to go there. I still have to finish the return line from the pump to the tank. I split this off under the stand and add check valves (those things are a lil costly but hopefully worth it) on each side along with gate valves so I can adjust the flow exactly how I want it on each side of the tank. The check valves will also help protect against back flow if the power goes out. I will also add a small siphon break (air line tubing) in each section of loc line just below the water surface as well (I believe in back up planes especially when it comes to stuff like this). Its coming together. The next items I will purchase will be a Radion Pro Gen4 I believe and two MP40's. I will also have a Gyre in the middle of the tank on the back wall as well. I will post some updated pics asap. I am pleased overall especially with the rock I purchased. Going with a little of the less is more approach and very little rock surface area touching the bottom of the tank. I like this look and its ease of cleaning.

MikeyTN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back again! Got back for a year and I'm ready to upgrade again....

OP
OP
commonstranger

commonstranger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it is running now and I have added 6 yellow tail damsels (devils of the sea - I will fish them out before adding any other livestock) to help get the system going. I just ordered another Radion XR30 Gen 4 Pro and some more rock a few minutes ago. It should be here Thursday. I will post more pics after the other rock and light is added.

OP
OP
commonstranger

commonstranger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the tank is up and running. I have made some modifications on the water storage tanks for my RO system so it will be more convenient when I do water changes. It will be nice to turn knobs and turn on switches to do a water change (hug smile). I have also redone the rock work and will post some pics soon. I made some videos of the RO system and how I did the plumbing being able to use the return and drain pipe both in the RO system was a great design in my opinion. I will see if I can get the videos to load some way but it said they were too big (the biggest is only 2:44 seconds long) . My wife and I have discussed it and in the future we are going to have the closet (off site fish room) completely tiled the floor and the wall up to about the four and half foot mark to cut down on water spill issues etc. I look forward to that but not the money it will cost (i could be buying frags !!!!! ) or the trouble of the event. Although, I know in the long haul it will differently be worth it. I look forward to posting more later. All the best everyone !!!

20190728_183227.jpg 20190728_183234.jpg 20190728_183236.jpg

Last edited:

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rhett, I see one thing in your pics that I would change if I were you. The brass spigot. Brass has copper content.

Several years ago we had the floor redone in the laundry room where the RO/DI system is located. In the process of moving things around the worker broke my plastic splitter where the cold water branches to the washer and RO/DI. He went to Lowe's to get a replacement. He told me he got me "a good one this time". It was brass. After that I noticed the the DI resin and RO membranes did not last nearly as long as they had in the past. I checked everything I could think of and finally suspected the brass. I switched it out to a plastic one and have not had any more issues. Apparently while the water is in contact with the brass it leaches copper into the water, it does not have to be flowing.

OP
OP
commonstranger

commonstranger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rhett, I see one thing in your pics that I would change if I were you. The brass spigot. Brass has copper content.

Several years ago we had the floor redone in the laundry room where the RO/DI system is located. In the process of moving things around the worker broke my plastic splitter where the cold water branches to the washer and RO/DI. He went to Lowe's to get a replacement. He told me he got me "a good one this time". It was brass. After that I noticed the the DI resin and RO membranes did not last nearly as long as they had in the past. I checked everything I could think of and finally suspected the brass. I switched it out to a plastic one and have not had any more issues. Apparently while the water is in contact with the brass it leaches copper into the water, it does not have to be flowing.

Harry,that is great advice. It is hard to tell in the picture but it is all plastic except for the metal screw on top which will not contact the water. I made sure to get plastic because of the reason Harry mentioned. Harry is always on point. I will come get some frags before long Harry. Its always good to see and talk a while. All the best !!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back