Back At It Again! 15 Gallon Long Mixed Reef Build

Carter o51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats up Reef2Reef! So after a couple years of being out of the saltwater hobby and realizing that freshwater just doesn't do it for me, its time to go back to reefing. New tank is a 2 ft. by 1 ft. petco purchase from a couple years ago that I recently broke down from a planted tank. The goal of this build is keep it simple stupid (KISS). No sump, nothing drilled, just all self contained hang on the back equipment. One of the things that bothers me the most with this type of build is having all the equipment sitting in the tank and taking away from the natural look.

So after a little research I found a solution. Bought a big aqua clear 70 HOB filter. I'm using it as a sort of improvised sump. I didn't bother with the inserts and am using it for a skimmer and a heater. So I bought an Aquatic Life mini internal 115 skimmer. Super small footprint and the perfect size to sit inside the HOB. Heater is a Cobalt 75 Watt heater that is also squeezed into the filter. This way the only equipment inside of the tank is a small powerhead for circulation and the 2 intakes for the Hob filters (I am also running another HOB aqua clear 30 that Ill probably use for chemipure or other media based off necessity, as well as flow).

Tank is set up with about 1/2 inch of "live" aragonite and live rock. I spent a lot of time looking into lighting as well. I wanted to go LED on this build due to power usage, dimming ability, and shimmer. I found a good nano light from reef breeders called the nano light touch, also sold as Aqua Knight LED. It uses 9 3W Cree LEDs with violet, blue, royal blue, and white. Dimmable with 10 intensity settings on each channel. I bought 2 of these units, which should be solid for lps and some easier sps. The tank is only about 16 or so inches deep so I'm not worried about light penetration.

All set, equipment is here and tank was set up Tuesday. I threw about 1/3 of a raw shrimp into the tank to get some ammonia built up for the cycle. I may at some point put up some sort of black back to the tank or just wait for coralline algae to build up

Pics!

Initial Aquascape
IMG_4778.jpg

Aquaclear 70 with Skimmer and Heater
IMG_4779.jpg

IMG_4781.jpg

IMG_4783.jpg

Completed Aquascape
IMG_4788.jpg

OP
OP
Carter o51

Carter o51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update here. Tank is coming along nicely. Going through the typical diatom bloom as of the last couple days but should die down soon. These lights are so strong I had to dial down to the lowest setting to acclimate the corals as some were expelling algae or not opening fully. I also added a pair of clowns.

IMG_4815.jpg

IMG_4814.jpg

IMG_4813.jpg

IMG_4811.jpg

IMG_4810.jpg

OP
OP
Carter o51

Carter o51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I try to do what I can to avoid the common "rock wall". It looks much more interesting and isn't too hard in a nano with some putty

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree. Nice scape! Looking forward to this one growing out!

OP
OP
Carter o51

Carter o51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somehow it's been 5 months since my last update! Time flies. Tank is cruising along with very little need for maintenance. I feed the fish and corals and have been keeping up with water changes every 1-2 weeks, and haven't dosed anything in months. When I was dosing I dealt with an alk swing that affected a couple LPS, but things have been recovering thanks to regular water changes giving better stability. There's a good mix of softies, LPS, and a couple more recently added sps frags in the tank, along with 2 maxi mini nems and 2 BTAs. The larger BTA was added to the tank after only being set up for probably 2 months and hasn't budged once it quickly found its spot. Same with the other BTA and the maxi minis. Very happy with how things are going so far! Hopefully more regular updates moving forward.

IMG_5172.jpg

IMG_5173.jpg

IMG_5174.jpg

IMG_5175.jpg

IMG_5176.jpg

IMG_5177.jpg

IMG_5178.jpg

IMG_5179.jpg

Maximizer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome looking tank!! Do you think the skimmer is really helping you since your doing pretty regular water changes? Keep up the good work!

OP
OP
Carter o51

Carter o51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome looking tank!! Do you think the skimmer is really helping you since your doing pretty regular water changes? Keep up the good work!
Thanks! The skimmer does pull some stuff out of the water, mostly a green tea sort of wet skimmate. A ton of gunk does build up on the neck though. I've actually had the skimmer off for the last week or 2 and you couldn't tell the difference.

Maximizer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! The skimmer does pull some stuff out of the water, mostly a green tea sort of wet skimmate. A ton of gunk does build up on the neck though. I've actually had the skimmer off for the last week or 2 and you couldn't tell the difference.
Well hopefully everything keeps going good. Looks nice and full.

Maximizer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Except that I'm now mostly out of room :(
But it looks so good. I would rather put just a few frags in a tank and grow them out vs a ton of little frags. Maybe it's time to start a new tank and let this one mature.

OP
OP
Carter o51

Carter o51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But it looks so good. I would rather put just a few frags in a tank and grow them out vs a ton of little frags. Maybe it's time to start a new tank and let this one mature.
Oh man if I had the time/space/money that would sound great! With how busy I've been with work lately I'm content to just enjoy and let stuff grow. Maybe an occasional frag or 2

Maximizer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man if I had the time/space/money that would sound great! With how busy I've been with work lately I'm content to just enjoy and let stuff grow. Maybe an occasional frag or 2
Lol I don't blame ya.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back