Back at it since Childhood

JTremonte

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, as the title states coming back since my child hood days with my father. He was crazy for Saltwater Fish. Watching my wife getting into the freshwater hobby, and seeing her tanks develop, I chose to go back to the Saltwater tanks finally. I was 10 when I started my first Saltwater tank, and managed it until I was 13. Which my father basically threw me to the wolves so I could make my own mistakes and learn from them.

I'll list my progression and thought process during each phase, as well as list things I would have done differently, with some questions pertaining to each.

Currently have a 55g Tank.
2 Powerheads
No Sump
15 days into the Cycle
With unpopular belief I did a Fish-In Cycle similar to my father did for as long as I remembered. However I used Dr. Tims One and Only (4oz) x 3
Also included 2 ocellaris clownfish, and 1 Diamond Watchman Goby
Used Tap water because natural .25 Ammonia - 15 TDS. I live outside City Limits
2" Live Sand Bed
Unused never put in tank Dry Rock approximately 5-10 years old.

First Up, Tank Size

55g Is still small however I do not feel it is micro.
I think personally I would of preferred a 75 Gallon, but future plans will be much larger once I successfully maintain this tank with Live Stock and Each type of Coral. I plan on Softies, then migrate into Hard Corals.

Sump

I was on the fence about a sump for a solid 2 months before I started this tank. However I am a firm believer as it is a nice thing to have, For a 55g tank it is not a deal breaker to have one or not. Currently am running a generic HOB Filter. I put in Seachem Matrix and Seachem DeNitrate from the start. I wanted additional Surface area even though I have a decent bit of Rock in the tank.

My Current Cycle Events

Tap Water Test - .25 Ammonia, Nitrite 0, Nitrate, 0, PH 7.8, TDS 15

Day 1 - Filled up tank, Added Salt to Salinity of 35ppt, Dosed Prime.
Day 2 - Tested water, .25 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, 0 Nitrate, PH 7.8
Day 3 - Added 2 ocellaris clownfish, Water Tested the Same, Added First 4oz of Dr Tims One and Only
Day 4 - Same Test
Day 5 - .25 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, 2 Nitrate? Day 5 confused me. I understand the Nitrogen cycle, Still firm believer of 2 things. API is terrible, Bad readings even though I tested 4 times.
Day 6 - Added a Diamond Watchman Goby. Why? In my opinion they are hardy. Also I believe everything in a tank has a job. I felt I needed Sand Movement, which he does plenty of.
Day 7 - Added 3 Hermit Crabs. Tested .25 Ammonia, .25 Nitrite, 2 Nitrate (Switched to Salifert tests ) I still used API Nitrate because Salifert Nitrates hates Nitrites.
Day 8 - Added 2nd Dose of 4oz Dr Tims One and Only. Tested .5 Ammonia, .5 Nitrite, 5 Nitrate. I will still argue the Nitrates I don't agree with, HOWEVER, Brown Algae Appeared
Day 9 - Added 2 Turbo Snails, 2 Astraea Snails for Algae. Tested .25 Ammonia 1.0 Nitrite, 5 Nitrate
Day 10 - Installed RO/DI Unit for Future Sake. I tiny bit of more research would of been nice. Tested 0 Ammonia, 1.0 Nitrite, 5 Nitrate ( Brown Algae grew more )
Day 11 - Tested 0 Ammonia, .5 Nitrite, 0 Nitrate. 0 Nitrate makes a little more since because from my understanding Algae absorbs loves Silica and Nitrates
Day 12 - Tiny spots of Green Algae. Tested 0 Ammonia, 1 Nitrite, 5 Nitrate
Day 13 - Same Results
Day 14 - Same Results
Day 15 - 0 Ammonia, 2 Nitrite, 5 Nitrate

NOTE

Day 7 I switched to Salifert Ammonia and Nitrite Test. Still using Nitrate API.

*Questions*

I've been now contemplating Water Changes of 20% due to Nitrites on the rise. I've read conflicting things about this during a Cycle. Clearly I did a FISH-IN cycle, Though that is from my past experience, and success my father had with the same methods.

I have been slightly Overfeeding. I believe added that small marginal amount is allowing the Nitrite to raise a little, and may go back to a normal small feeding. Is this a wise move?

I plan on having (2) Small 1 Gallon Refugiums hang on back. I plan on understocking the tank. I've heard bigger refugium is better, however without a Sump I'm converting 2 small breeders into Refugiums to grow Algae, and Pods for the fish. I planned on doing this based on the amount of Nitrates I have. I know I want lower Nitrates clearly, and I believe even for being small, They will function for what I want to utilize them for so I can sustain Coral. Any suggestions, comments, concerns I will take.

I have 1 more bottle of Dr. Tims One and Only coming in. Should I just go ahead and use it? Or Water change, then Use it. 20% barely will make a dent, but will make a dent.

Things I wish I did differently?

I wish I did a 3" Sand bed. The Diamond Watchman Goby has made some areas down to 1/2 Inch. I have no issue manually evening the sand out except for his entrance under the rocks.

RO/DI Water. I wish I would have started with this personally. However I have been making the water to prepare for water changes.

Fish-Less cycle. I'm still on the fence about this. I've had nothing crazy pop out. Sadly only the next month or 2 (or 8) Will tell me what I will do in the future if/when I upgrade to tank/sump. I understand Fish-In Cycles are unpopular. Even though I've read multiple times it can work just not ideal. My father used Damsels, and oddly loved them.

All I ask about this post, which I hope people will respect, That no matter what the opinions are on how I started this tank. I'm in this situation now. Nothing can change the fact I have 3 Fish and a CuC in during a cycle.

I would really enjoy hearing the input folks here have on my next steps I should possibly take for the future with the current state of my tank.

Side note - I don't plan on adding anymore fish until the Nitrites are 0. Then I will be only added 3 more fish with a maximum Size of 3". I plan on a Royal Gramma, the last 2 fish are still up to debate.

Thank you

OP
OP
J

JTremonte

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20210517_081600.jpg
20210517_081606.jpg

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the scape. Not to judge but perhaps next time only add 1 fish and than add more. Also I’m not a fan of fish cycle but it’s good you used bottled bacteria. Keep it up

OP
OP
J

JTremonte

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, like I stated still in debate about it. I mean it worked, with no spikes. I know when I set up my next tank I will be doing fishless cycle mainly because I don't plan on transfering these fish into a bigger tank till I complete the other method. However I am pleased with my results.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 73 34.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 56 26.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.8%
Back