Back board on a DIY stand? Vents?

Pete Hammersley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, the frame for my 900 litre tank stand is done, I’m ready to start panelling it and making the 2 front doors. I’m unsure if I should board the back or leave it open?
I will have a grow light in there for my refugium which would probably look odd because of the light spill without a back board, same also for vents.
How important is ventilation for a sump?
Thanks,
Pete.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I chose to keep a 6" space for ventilation and gas exchange. It also allows me passage to the back of the tank from the sump area and Visa versa.

Which u never think about needing, until u do. The light spill doesnt bother me. It's like ambience imo. But I'm sure others would argue, personal preference really.

OP
OP
Pete Hammersley

Pete Hammersley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I chose to keep a 6" space for ventilation and gas exchange. It also allows me passage to the back of the tank from the sump area and Visa versa.

Which u never think about needing, until u do. The light spill doesnt bother me. It's like ambience imo. But I'm sure others would argue, personal preference really.

My cabinet stand is 30 inches front to back, and the sump only 18, so I have some space for dosing equipment etc.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just set it up so that u can easily access the mechanical parts. Skimmer, return, heaters, etc.. I doodle on graph paper when I wanna work something out...

I'll snag a shot of the spill tonight or tomorrow when the display goes dark and the fuge light pops on and share it here so u have an idea.

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen horror stories of people that left it open and it ruined their wall and some even the floor. Salt creep, splashes of water, accidents, etc.
Like stated above, a 6 inch gap is perfect.

OP
OP
Pete Hammersley

Pete Hammersley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen horror stories of people that left it open and it ruined their wall and some even the floor. Salt creep, splashes of water, accidents, etc.
Like stated above, a 6 inch gap is perfect.

Do you mean 6 inch gap between the back of the cabinet to the wall?

icejam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used pegbard as the back in my DIY stand. Works awesome for installing gear and provides ample ventilation.

It's a cropped photo but you can see it here

27D80C8D-4D69-44BE-BBD7-FCA705045119.jpeg

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some sort of lightweight fabric maybe? Could be held in place by something as simple as thumbtacks. I'd think a dark color would largely do away with light bleed. Probably not fantastic ventilation, but would have some.

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 inch vertical gap meaning just large enough to put you hand and plumbing and cords through the back. Not completely closed off but not open either. Distance to the wall can be whatever your preference is depending what is on the back glass or plumbing behind the tank.

OP
OP
Pete Hammersley

Pete Hammersley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used pegbard as the back in my DIY stand. Works awesome for installing gear and provides ample ventilation.

It's a cropped photo but you can see it here

27D80C8D-4D69-44BE-BBD7-FCA705045119.jpeg

Suck a good idea, and a brilliant solution for organising all my cables, dosing tubes, controllers etc. Thanks.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the pegboard idea is a good one, but I would suggest giving it several good coats of polyurethane to waterproof it well. As soon as that bare pegboard gets wet (or even damp from humidity, it will start to come apart.
Was thinking the same thing. Very porous material and if it does get moisture into it, it will likely begin deteriorating quickly.

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was one that was terrified of the salt creep onto my drywall so I put up a thin sheet of wood and cut out 3 and half inch holes (about 6 of them) across my 6 foot span (tank is 72 inches) I am more than pleased with what I ended up with. no moisture build up in sump area nor any salt creep on wall

icejam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the pegboard idea is a good one, but I would suggest giving it several good coats of polyurethane to waterproof it well. As soon as that bare pegboard gets wet (or even damp from humidity, it will start to come apart.
You can buy laminated one, or even metal. This one I can get free from work and knowing me I will re-doing my plumbing / sump / setup every 3 months so I am not too concerned with extra work involved with replacing it :)

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can buy laminated one, or even metal. This one I can get free from work and knowing me I will re-doing my plumbing / sump / setup every 3 months so I am not too concerned with extra work involved with replacing it :)
This ^ .

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back