Back in the hobby! 15 gallon SPS

tanstrobels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updated 12/15/21

After a very long hiatus due to going to college and living abroad for work I am finally back in the hobby. Almost reluctantly at first but got sucked in pretty easily! My last tank was a 55 gallon mixed reef all HOB filtration, skimmer, etc. with metal halides. That was a little over ten years ago and in hindsight, I didn't really know what I was doing half the time. That tank was up for two years but parted it out and sold it all when I went to school. I always dreamed of a fancy SPS tank but never had the money or the patience at the time to make it happen.

Now I'm giving it a second attempt on a much smaller scale but the right equipment (and patience) should help a lot this time around. The reason I mentioned reluctance at first with this second tank is because I was gifted a 7 gallon biocube from a friends mother who didn't have time to take care of it anymore. I agreed to taking it from her without seeing the state of the tank or the equipment she was using. I was told it was a 15 gallon, set, ready to go, and all it needed was a little tlc. A bit different of a story once I saw it in person. I wish I had taken a picture of what I had picked up! The tank had an oscelaris clown, a over abundance of mega hermit crabs, aiptasia, hair algae, a neon tip toadstool leather and a ton of pulsing xenia.

Unfortunately in the move, the tank developed a few minor leaks in the bottom seam and forced me to purchase a new tank. I ended up picking out the JBJ RL-15, it's JBJ's newest all in one aquarium. I wish I had purchased the 20 gallon now but after realizing that the biocube was a 7 gallon a 15 sounded like a good size at the time.

Current hardware is as follows:
  1. JBJ rimless nano 15 gallon
  2. RedSea 50 led
  3. Tunze Nano ATO
  4. Hygger mini wavemaker
  5. Inkbird WIFI temperature controller
  6. Wifi-enabled powerstrip
  7. Innovative Marine mesh lid
  8. Kamoer wifi doser for kalk
  9. Back of the tank
    1. Chamber 1
      1. Filter floss
      2. Carbon
      3. MarinePure ceramic biomedia
    2. Chamber 2
      1. 50W heater
    3. Chamber 3
      1. Stock return pump
      2. Temp probe
      3. Tunze Nano ATO sensor
  10. Aragonite sand
  11. Fiji live rock
Current inhabitants
  1. Fish
    1. Jorge - Oscellaris clownfish
    2. Tulio - Yellow banded possum wrasse
    3. Cusco - White spotted file fish
    4. Miguel - Court Jester Goby
    5. Pacha - Neon sharknose goby
    6. Regis - Bicolor blenny
  2. Inverts
    1. Margarita snail
    2. 2 Trochus snails
    3. 2 Cerith snails
    4. 2 baby Nassarius snails
  3. Corals
    1. Space invader pectinia
    2. neon polyp toadstool leather
    3. AOI zoas
    4. CC My Chemical Romance zoas
    5. Spongebob zoas
    6. Purple/Green acro frag

Currently dealing with really low nutrients. Phosphate and Nitrate are both undetectable. I'm reducing the 2 gallon water changes to every other week rather than weekly. Also changing out my filter floss every week now instead of twice a week.

Future plans for the tank are more corals (mainly all SPS plus some zoas), a goby shrimp pair, a few diy projects and a Kamoer wifi dosing pump so I can start dosing kalkwasser.

Upcoming DIY projects
  1. Acrylic media rack that goes into the first chamber so that all the filter bags aren't just stacked on top of each other in there (nobody makes one for this aquarium).
    1. Decided to scrap this idea because the only thing in chamber one is the filter floss and then about once a month, I will put in a bag of carbon for a few days then pull it back out.
  2. Controller/equipment rack that slides out from the inside wall of the stand. That way I can mount my wavemaker controller, temp controller, all the plugs, ATO, doser, etc to the rack and slide it all the way out to get to the controls and such. Currently, all of that minus the doser is just sitting on the top shelf in a complete mess. I got this idea from RedSea which just released a similar product.

I'll post some photos soon once I can find the USB cord for my camera.

Last edited:

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jorge and Tulio should be producing nitrates....so I wouldn't worry much there. Feeding will increase your phosphates. How old is the tank? Is it cycled? Lot of information here...I have a 12 gallon nano and I can tell you...hearing people with ZERO nitrates and ZERO phosphates in a nano seems sus. lol.

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t wait for pics!
In my 25, I started with dry rock and sand and am dosing 10ml of phosphate per day to keep it from dripping to 0 every day. I have 2 wrasses, 2 goby and a royal gramma and feed pellets and LRS. Dino central unless I dose nitrates and phosphates. I use the Brightwell line.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back to the obsession
ZomboMeme 30112020120606.jpg

OP
OP
T

tanstrobels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the tank for about two months but the biocube that I had adopted was 3 years old I believe? I brought live rock and water over from the old tank that cracked during the move. Added in more cured live rock from the fish store and added in the Jorge once I knew it was safe. I did have phosphates and nitrates at first. I was changing 4 gallons a week for the first month, only fed Jorge every other day and added the red sea reef led which caused a bit of an algae bloom. I think a combination of all those things caused me to bottom out the nutrients. I'm now feeding daily, corals look happy, I believe there is nutrients in the water but it's taking a little bit of time to come back. Algae bloom is subsiding as well which I believe was chrysophytes which makes sense with the low nutrients.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

tanstrobels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm gobsmacked you 2 are having to DOSE phosphates and nitrates. lol.
You're telling me! It was the last problem I thought I was going to have with this little tank. Turns out you can over do it with the water changes which I was doing in the first place to avoid any algae problems. I may remove the phosguard entirely or just add less to the bag in the future if it's pulling nutrients out to quickly.

The tank is fine right now and I'm just observing it daily as it's in my office :) Don't want to pull too many levers at the same time and not know which one actually worked lol

OP
OP
T

tanstrobels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No photos yet.... still need to find the cable for my camera. I may resort to using my cell phone but the photos won't quite be as nice.

Also picking up the following corals from someone local here in Seattle once I get back from Utah!

1. Tangerine dream zoas
  2. Rainbow incinerator zoas
  3. Blondie zoas
  4. Joe the coral acropora
  5. Garf bonsai acropora

OP
OP
T

tanstrobels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally back from Utah and all the animals survived my absence :)

I still don't have the cord for my camera but I am getting a new Iphone. I believe that will do nicely for the photos compared to the Iphone 7 I have now. I'll have the new phone Thursday. Pictures then!

A couple updates:

Still planning on purchasing the above corals from a guy here in Seattle. That's happening Sunday.

Purchasing a court jester goby and a cleaner shrimp tomorrow.

Going to start dosing kalkwasser tomorrow to keep my alk and calcium up. My nitrates are somewhere below 1ppm and phosphate is between 0 and 0.03ppm so water changes are out of the question. My last water change was 2 gallons 2 weeks ago and with daily feeding I still have the above levels.

Going to be using a Kamoer X1Pro 2 for the dosing. Currently, my alk is at 6.5 and calcium is at 395 (I know it's low). My target is 8 alk, calcium should be around 405-410 then.

Any thoughts on setting these as the baseline? Should either be any higher?

I was planning on dosing this over the next 14 days. Major concern in PH but I don't know if this will be an issue. I plan to dose once every hour with fully saturated kalk.

Is that overkill to draw out dosing over that long of a period to raise the alk and calcium?

OP
OP
T

tanstrobels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well despite my absence here the tank is still chugging along. I did, finally, get a new Iphone and can finally take some decent photos. Here’s FTS and will follow up later with pictures of the corals and introductions for the fish/inhabitants as time goes on.

The tank is finally looking clean again, I battled dinos for a solid month and a half (October/November ). I had a six week sabbatical from work and was not at my home often then (lots of camping/hunting). The lack of feeding and nutrients bottoming out led to the uglies. A bit of care and it’s back on track with no sign of dinos ever being present.

Current tank parameters are as follows:
IMG_6469.jpg

• NO3 – 5
  • PO4 – 0.01
  • PH – 8.1
  • KH – 9.3
  • Ca – 375
  • Mg – 1275
  • Salinity 35

OP
OP
T

tanstrobels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! How are you liking the Red Sea fixture?
I can’t compare it to other leds since the only other light Ive had was metal halides back on my old tank 10+ years ago. With that said I like it, the mount arm swivels from side to side so it can get out of the way when I need it. It has a good shimmer and is easy to set up. The reafbeat app is a little buggy though which is so surprising to me for such a name brand.

OP
OP
T

tanstrobels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came back from being gone this weekend and my mag is 1230, calcium is right around 370. I initially thought my uptake of calcium was happening faster than my kh but I think the reason for the low levels is because my mag is also low. Sound about right?

I purchased a Kent Marine magnesium supplement. It should be here Wednesday then I begin bringing up my levels to 1350ppm. If my assumption is correct my tank will be able to buffer better and calcium should sit higher in my target range of 400+ instead of the current 370.

On another note my nitrate was 2.5 and phosphate was 0.02. I had a bit of dinos on the lower rocks where flow is less. I hadn't fed my fish since Friday. Going to work on bringing these back up to my target of 5 - 10 for nitrate and 0.03 - 0.05 for phosphate.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 30.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back