Back In The Hobby With A RedSea 130D

Lester Verano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm back to the hobby after getting my butt kicked the first time out. I found a RedSea Max 130D in excellent shape and got a great bundle deal. So much a good deal in fact, I'd say I recuperated from the losses I took in my first year in the hobby, and came out on top and then some.

I lost a lot of fish during my first year, and believe a lot of it was due to stress I caused combined with some really disgusting rock I bought on Craig'sList. I remember the rock was almost black in color. I bought about 40 or 60 pounds of it from a closed down 60 gallon cube, which the rock probably sat in its murky filth water until sold to me. Being new to the hobby I never gave it much thought, but looking back I'll bet the rock leached out ammonia into my water, thus stressing out and killing my fish. I lost many fish to velvet, which I believe derived from the rock and stress from poor water conditions.

I'm happy to say I am testing all water parameters now, and working with only new happy purple and pink rock, and I'm hoping I might be on the path to success. Much better equipment and knowledge in my hands now than I had before. I still have tons to learn, but I know enough to be happy in the hobby for now. I just need to know if there is any particular existing thread where people talk about their RedSea Max 130D aquariums, and share pictures and stuff like that. Thanks. Lester.

xsnys

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love to see some pictures of the tank! I have a C-130 myself and used to have a 130d. I love these tanks. They really feel like a completely contained system, closed off from the elements.

I attached a photo of mine. I just started an anemone tank with some 5 year old (rather pest-free) liverock I got locally. I retrofitted a Radion XR30 G3 Pro Inside.

photo_2023-03-16_00-43-23.jpg

OP
OP
L

Lester Verano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love to see some pictures of the tank! I have a C-130 myself and used to have a 130d. I love these tanks. They really feel like a completely contained system, closed off from the elements.

I attached a photo of mine. I just started an anemone tank with some 5 year old (rather pest-free) liverock I got locally. I retrofitted a Radion XR30 G3 Pro Inside.

photo_2023-03-16_00-43-23.jpg
Awesome, thanks for the pic upload! I have the black version 130D. I bought it with a phenomenal upgrade already done with Steve's LEDS and a Bluefish WiFi controller. I hated to do it, but I removed the top OG lid an installed a Kessil 360x, which I feel I like better because of the shimmer. The Steve's LEDS though I believe have the ability to synchronize with live Fiji weather, and with a bluetooth speaker you can get live real time thunderstorms and sounds of rain as it storms over your tank. I'm kind of torn over if I want the Kessil on there or the OG lid. I would probably not have to do as many top offs with the OG lid, but I'll bet my temperature will almost require a chiller in the summer months if I do use the OG.

I have two bags of porous media in the first chamber, and I use an upgrade media basket from "InTank" next to where the skimmer would be. I have carbon, floss, and poly filter in that thing. I run a 10 watt uv light, and that is it. I dose a little of this and that, but nothing too heavy handed. Never do too much they say. Eheim heater like yours. No skimmer. Copepods and phytoplankton now and then for my 3 fish. Lots of Zoas coming soon. I will for sure add pics soon! Thank you for sharing!

xsnys

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, thanks for the pic upload! I have the black version 130D. I bought it with a phenomenal upgrade already done with Steve's LEDS and a Bluefish WiFi controller. I hated to do it, but I removed the top OG lid an installed a Kessil 360x, which I feel I like better because of the shimmer. The Steve's LEDS though I believe have the ability to synchronize with live Fiji weather, and with a bluetooth speaker you can get live real time thunderstorms and sounds of rain as it storms over your tank. I'm kind of torn over if I want the Kessil on there or the OG lid. I would probably not have to do as many top offs with the OG lid, but I'll bet my temperature will almost require a chiller in the summer months if I do use the OG.

I have two bags of porous media in the first chamber, and I use an upgrade media basket from "InTank" next to where the skimmer would be. I have carbon, floss, and poly filter in that thing. I run a 10 watt uv light, and that is it. I dose a little of this and that, but nothing too heavy handed. Never do too much they say. Eheim heater like yours. No skimmer. Copepods and phytoplankton now and then for my 3 fish. Lots of Zoas coming soon. I will for sure add pics soon! Thank you for sharing!
I just saw this reply but awesome to hear. I did run my very first 130D without the lid as well until I sold it. I do prefer my current c130 with the lid as it helps with evaporation. Haven't had any issues with heat yet. The tank stays between 77-78 degrees.

I also don't run a skimmer on mine. Never have on any of my tanks and probably never will haha. I like to keep things as simple as possible as well.

Jloftin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are y’all liking the 130D? I’m debating between that and the 32 coralife biocube. Any suggestions between the two?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back