NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 10 - Something's Fishy

-The Method-

*Continue to test ammonia and nitrite. Once both are 0 for two days in a row, add first fish!

-The Madness-

I knew we were getting close to the cycle stabilizing as ammonia had fallen to 0 recently and only nitrites were hanging on, but as of Friday evening had dropped to only 0.5ppm. Both Saturday and Sunday had stable readings of 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite with nitrate at either 10 or 20ppm. It's difficult to tell as the shades on the API card are so close at that range.

Let me start by saying that the combination of clean, cured, but bacteria populated live rock, plus live sand, plus Bio-Spira as absolutely the way to go and I will likely go this route for any future tanks. Using the Real Reef Rock brand Live Rock from a trusted source at my LFS meant that there were no nasty hitchikers at all (only got a Turbo Snail which was put into the LR tank by the LFS), yet I was able to start the tank as if it was already far more mature than it was. I'm not sure the live sand and bio-spira were truly necessary with such great rock, however the sand was essentially the same price from my source as dry sand and the Bio-Spira was only $20. At worst it gave me peace of mind, and at best it actually helped, which is well worth the cost to me. Additionally, while we didn't "cycle" with fish, we absolutely could have given how low the levels stayed. Total ammonia never got higher than 0.5ppm and that was only for a day, before dropping down to 0.25ppm for a couple of days. Additionally, the harmful free ammonia topped out at less than 0.025ppm, the lowest level "alet" on the Seachem ammonia alert monitor, and again, that was only for on day before dropping to basically undetectable levels. Nitrite topped out at 1ppm for a few days, which is simply not a harmful level to marine life. A study actually showed that clownfish can tolerate nitrite levels in the hundreds of ppm. It's deadly to freshwater fish, but just not harmful at the low levels you get during even a traditional cycle in a home aquarium. Straight up, we COULD HAVE thrown a couple clowns in the tank and they would have done just fine as the combination of bacteria sources kept levels so low during the highly expedited cycle. I'm glad we didn't however, as it allowed us to focus more on dialing in the lighting schedule we like, and being able to deal with the normal mid/late cycle diatom bloom without having new fish in the tank to stress.

At this point though, it was time for our first inhabitants. This is my third tank, and first in 10 years. Each of the last two started with an oscellaris clownfish, and I planned on this one being no different. The obvious place to go was A Reef Creation, the LFS that we went to for the tank and live rock as all of the oscellaris and percula clowns they sell are bred in house. The owner, Randy gave my wife and I a tour of their breeding operation, which consisted of about 10 or 15 mated pairs pumping out fry. We even got to see some week old fry in one tank and some month old ones that just recently got their colors. It was actually a bit difficult to find what we really wanted, however, which was a normal old 3 stripe oscallaris or percula, as most of the fish they breed end up producing "designer" babies. If you're in Western New York and want a cool looking designer clown, this is hands down the best place to go, but if you want an old school version, the selection was a bit slimmer. Eventually we did find two perculas that fit the bill. One was a bog standard percula and the other was pretty close, with the only "non-standard" coloration being the back stripe near the tail did not go fully around the fish and instead rounded out and ended on the side. It looks pretty cool! The one with the rounded our back stripe is named Nori, and the normal one is Rory.

ic_bawQQo9LFGciPpomc5b0TreHlv8Lvk8pdXzLGfHYTS4q22431a8A9bhtIZP7NkMVBStCLXfpURfASczZkgGbuRS3rfTiggSKkIgc68Xgp05CnmnA3EnPLjBhryX8LDpmMmsDOPPk2dxQCT_warjWRpJAqqo6nE8POG2ccsE0uGRIZk3jocQhN9M9R2Fc4VQMdjr4R8dFoBTfhZcr5GgNrmU3YsgkpHXSKmOPZZHdnXbQML3e-eujv9BcsCgXITcnSF5IfWKGuuWnSTvdWBs2D3OgykO4_ud1BoCzXGDGMwmK3Lnpoztk-7bRz5ZB_dc3Tsp1Kl9wbwEueXNsf800FxGldVtLztOfo1x2Z4q5qvcH8V91pz3RrYi3qrhJAG7HP8-BrK61uSDwywoUWYVPqGNbIGFcOWgTRQiXHSo597dA4PFEheQrY0zWEworLgn7EA7qkUlFHRsL3NmhqyaK1Pvg4mcbZNxPMGeqv45NsZHeXP2t7IT5EBvfWzzZ_AWQIZOBz9pAJbAIxK7qtHBK-tK8_YWZCVzsUFerU32EWskJwZBOxMXHfWuwcnuViz9Uta5Q9cSRzCZkJHgeDX9r5vNFPs87XKOzdn1bq=w2304-h1728-no

In addition to the clowns we picked up a basic clean up crew to start. We went low quantity compared to most as we knew there just wasn't going to be much to eat for awhile. We picked up 5 astrea snails, 2 nassarius, 2 babalonia, 5 scarlet hermits, 2 red mithrax crabs, and a sand sifting conch. We figured that the astreas and the turbo we already had would take care of the glass and rocks, the hermits would help with rocks and sand, the nassarius and babalonia with leftover food, and the conch with the sand in general. We got the mithrax crabs simply because I like them, and they were a good pre-emptive strike against bubble algae down the road.

As of this morning ammonia and nitrite both measure 0, so the tank certainly seems thus far to have been fully cycled to handle the new bioload.

-On the Docket-

I'll continue to monitor ammonia and nitrite levels and provided they remain stable, will pick up a few frags to get started with. We're also working on building a fish wishlist that will help guide our stocking going forward. Once we have the list build we'll figure out a preferred order with the leeway for impulse buys along the way. We'll then start to stock further as we see some of those fish become available at one of our two or 3 preferred local LFSs taking aggression and order of stocking into account.

As of now we're looking at stocking the following over time:

1 Blenny (Starry, Lawnmower, or Tail Spot)
1-2 Reef Safe Wrasses (McCoskers, Carpenter's, some sort of Fairy, etc.)
1-2 Anthias (really like the Square or Fathhead. Wife likes the Borbonius
1 Purple, Exquisite, or Helfrichi Firefish
1 "reef safe-ish" Dwarf Angel. Either Coral Beauty or Flame
1 Kole Tang
+
Maybe an additional Yellow or Purple Tang added at the same time as the Kole.
Perhaps a small 3 or 5 fish group of blue-green Chromis or even better, blue reef chromis.

Congratulations! I am not a huge fan of “misbar” clowns, but that one is very, very cool. I love how it happens in the third stripe at the tail. Nice find!

OP
OP
theKoolAidMan

theKoolAidMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 20 - Fast and Furious

-The Method-

*Keep adding fish and corals while watching parameters, algae growth, etc.
*Install BRS GFO and Carbdon Reactors
*Deal with a rogue Mithrax Crab
*Encounter my first coral nipper

-The Madness-

It's been a busy couple of weeks since adding our first clownfish inhabitants. I've watched my levels like a hawk since then and we never got any sort of change in parameters, so we recently added a couple of new friends in the tank. While at the LFS we noticed a couple fish that we instantly fell in love with. First up, (pictures below) is Jabba, our Starry Blenny. He has a great personality swimming from perch to perch, then jumping down to the sand to much on whatever he can clean off a mouthful. Perhaps his funniest trait however is that he has essentially decided to have a dedicated bathroom in the front left corner of the tank. This is the ONLY place he will poop. He'll leave his perch, swim up to the corner and keep himself suspended just long enough to drop a deuce before returning to the rockwork.

lKH3yaRVawh3gkbYL8DkxnwNaSLVRGtUtD5H7fWCqvRK3xYpFU5GsIi28uZpb2EmSXi8vgYR87d7Lv0oMQS2zMROyL9c7IRJkD51hbWkRc5JZ-pZwFf70q5dEHYmv5T3sqgKmdpk2WUdiIQZ4jhYCs-t2aV6kJfuGGmnKQwpuux4I8oHmotmsQhgjiLmtHE32_OSCda-v52K1DCdzBSXHP5DuyHbEhdqCGiNCCdD4gSV8XYXMa0j3yKJGc0XBwK7HOyXmkyG8Hn0243gZi42Mj1-u_pFQAapWbhr7qaty1mitLXFgc_kvi6J3XJezNZ1fL9u9rxP-WcCqrJOXw4klmA-3PaMudLALMGajotJ-B338PfXQnv1Ksq6HX9OIosYKPJy7XDj6-kd1av0Qh1yII6cVDNGkvb6r59DDsyBrugXMDYpkvsU2zQcs7yIp3RV2Vn54hjOcef4Ocj1f2306EZv9gWjNfMRmu8oNGw-XKFodIMWwsPdl1S3Hmlypz83DWeRZS-x-80lE8tWJWiJteyqQy85U2R9GZdlz1VvJk_JYezrRbkbVs1UsziorRJ0_cwT7SORpzUU8vIrG45rrbNWuCbvKCu2E3xbMbD6=w2384-h1728-no

In addition, we picked up a Naoko Wrasse. I was attracted to him because not only does he have really unique coloring with a white belly, deep red top, and a thick bright yellow stripe running down the side, but he's also fairly rare and was only described by science for the first time 9 years ago.

48PUFdfeMhAuTT9H6AxibV94gHDQwrsN6rNIzbjEp-AzlW-bKS5Dz3qTTHH3GP2t9oGy9MNMfPwzljscm4KdHxlA5-btboFw_johIPPW7mzu9faCxi6eYcwM3H2Huq0zy_Sb4YtFdv25ZumQtfeseOt9So_TTWG6cMR02QYOXLnp7d5iT_xUa6r2QD0-0uRNVVN7pBOYQjEf_pqCCPZR4v4KxPskUovwpKykbsmUHql19uZQUNwy7k8jy46wxJGhF3dEFAiMEevQ77HLdFJVNflIY4lFsiTkIiteAxYJwUHKs5TVRngX1kvig2sr6TX-GpBXX1DHBEPMq9-o7D6ynsHlMTRVkr0u6BGR3RvSoghmHvfjFaqs-1YqbdY3bqktGbiH04P9GmxxMV-HBQ1i2rMlx0xj-xzY10GCAkak5gYpXEfVckOxPJ-YqqWc5VP-11ft3bRXUa_99Cmgx3OBa7ilDLl1tGJg3DtXU-qO9TFiUhdLyrgD2Z89iavHLViUmb2vYuLLMUeH6DBcPy0isGdogvj3dljCDSID0Hj2C0UDGdlNMEFa2gSJ5eeOpXh51b85ms2RvrgyIyf_5pZb693uDlzZe1JMTH0hL92g=w2304-h1728-no

At the same time we added our first coral frags, a Ricordea, Favia, and Frogspawn. The Ricordea was just starting to split from one head to two when we got it. About a week later and we're now splitting into three, so it's safe to say it's settling in well. The Favia is doing fine, but hasn't looked all that amazing since adding it. The flesh was demaged a bit when I dropped it and exposed part of the skeleton, so that's likely why. Still, it's alive and I do expect a rebound. The frogspawn also looks good and opens fully during the day with no issues. SInce then we've also added some more frags. A couple of Acans, a Blasto, a few zoas, a duncan head, and a toadstool.

T4s6GMC9COye38yTCwx5DeNIvUD1Sx3T48cjON2q4UlaRBPgEdxiFn4vowowed4JYPZH1GWY0cdeWNvXNV68ArXbFxrTOYRjHwwqR777zefySa7yAIlWMhFfT45nxLUTZxl8WvQM8jezgYW9-WffzkVSqsKOl1UsJmYNqazLfrkVMQ7c5VPdPuQuts_2ZHr7VRZepuZuH88qUXg1VGZEes0Mqeis9uL-uEDEulKTAGdsPudZe8z9VIIjnbZrpMyXm5GbaFPAiPKLuYM16g8XAdzdOJ4ckKk1ANUOHflOTIUrSApLYMlm5RJHB2MdjDSbjabWvWtggpvPHXFVUuqRAi2EbqqC_iDASHuY2TguPiEiRGaE21eYYaND-HoYJ-AaNAUQcmSDRZ1XUYkoltkygZqRSLiObYwE6ohAenlF3EhW0Dh8iW69gX7S4S9D413wyVDyC05atCaKCFQrHfKHnnecEM86ZD78m5V8ES8SMCKghADrHZeLkNNATx17VaZEWRGvH-LYMSZUbyA_bKxKsLvwJl4_1QOMYeyDEJcGYvNInkTZb6YPBosGTl2F7J0jM5_2eCpXg7y6-4xzyY-enxQmQ_lzy-IbW4xCAsun=w1296-h1728-no

anq6qmIKOM3sSdH7rYDIQg702MZlFRRLYS_GKn5NXfKC0Bgi8Vu8G_EqgruQf_UzkYSjIL64NS46V7RfxGNLfCx1ONvpmFKl0UPRRgbvyCl-9RcJekNAshYPiIIpLgmCYOvJvm-iy2RH6HA2BfMNCcOnHo_FxHwf9yF9DCprET-XYFG9VQ38WBJAmUapeo0N_NFVATgA14Au2ST1ZW3lV11QC9s-MpxmLKQNHN4Wjj-M2bFWUadpaCX5eQQP4tmCPMguB2KsVh-_a4GIxDgDGCoFJd-NwNhpRqMnMihgrDuUbVl0j3P4T5hHGrh7Ll62QZxnF5C-LZ9kDLg1thlJjf0H0DLSZYBok2vkRzCGgzsy8PVPlboftJrg9B9i9zaIGPexHoDHOMtRbia1_zU1ogu4m3tx4eFkyxpEOs7g617ssHIY5WiNxvTMbsoI5kVSqGQeAGP1HeuFrCtF5MZQPGaaaWwqNZF_q-FFjwUFeg7g5kIICymj9T1QTx61d-Erz1uRfVMT06fXa0tAgr9uWynn0QhuTu0l2nQAIf2BEuPqJhCbTXKA-Aa39jEKFIE6UXbSnMsp9HEkT9bThP3IFjIMOYyGLB3fTnExZrGf=w1296-h1728-no

We did have to deal with an ******* Mithrax crab though. One of our two was quite large and decided that he was doing to throw his weight around. I recently added a golf ball size chunk of GSP on the sand. Within a few minutes of adding it he ran out grabbed the entire chunk in his claw, and tried to drag it back into his cave. He later did the same thing with a nassarius snail. This earned him banishment to the sump, and a few days later I gifted him back to the LFS (who were kind enough to give me some credit to use toward some frozen food I needed.

About this time I also added the BRS GFO and Cabron reactor to the sump. This is two separate reactor chambers fed by the single pump. Seems to work fine and wanted to get it up and running to try and keep phosphates low before they did start to rise. Figured it's easier to prevent algae then try and get rid of it later.

Lastly, we did go ahead and add another fish on a whim, that may not have been a great decision. We really like different and unique looking fish. Hence loving the Nasoko and Starry Blenny. We were at an LFS and saw a Blue Spotted Puffer for sale. If you haven't seen them, they're absolutely striking with bright blue stripes and spots all over and that lovable Toby Puffer personality. I knew putting him in that he was one of those "reef safe with caution" fish. Thus far, he has lived up to that designation. He is friendly with the other fish and largely ignores the mithrax crab, hermits, turbo snail, and astreas, but if any of the nassarius snails make the mistake of emerging from the sand while he's awake, he's all over them like a cheap suit. He hasn't managed to kill one yet, but he's certainly tried, and they have felt the pain. I'm fine with that and expected it going in. However, we seem to be one of the unlucky ones, and he is a coral nipped. I've been keeping a close eye on him the last few days and he has really messed up both of my acans. I saw him nip the blasto once but didn't seem to cause much damage. I also just witness him take a nip at a zoa polyp, but didn't seem to like it and hasn't come back again. He really likes the acans though. He comes by every so often and takes a couple of pecks at them. Both frags have 3 heads each. One one of then, two of the heads are missing half of their "mantle" while the other one all three seem to be missing most of theirs. I'm more concerned with watching him with the zoas and other corals. if he only really consistently bothers or nips Acans, I'm happy enough to just never buy acans in order to keep him. But if he starts going after other corals, I'll need to take him back, which is a shame.

OP
OP
theKoolAidMan

theKoolAidMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NEWSFLASH - Puffer Evicted

Quick Update. In rather unfortunate news, I had to return the blue spot puffer. We were hoping we'd be lucky and get one that only ate snails but left corals alone. However he had a taste for acans and was doing a number on the couple of frags I have. In addition, yesterday he went after some zoas and a blasto. It was obvious that he would pick at corals and make keeping them difficult, so I caught him last night and traded him back in to the LFS. Very sad as he was a gorgeous fish that was so interesting to watch. Sometimes it just doesn't work out though.

Dan_K1309

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the 1k Controller.

D1892DCF-E696-4BB0-8662-9038DF85BA19.jpeg

If I could run a second pump off of this one controller I would own it. Or if the Maxspect Advanced Controller worked with IceCap, etc.

By the way, I ran the 1k gyre at constant speed at first to “break it in.” I raised it 20% each day, but it really was not needed. It basically ran dead silent out of the box up to 100%. I now run 50% with variation until I add corals and they tell me what they want.

EDIT: This is in a display that is roughly a 30 gallon tank.
Does full speed blow stuff around. We get our 1k this Monday.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does full speed blow stuff around. We get our 1k this Monday.

I have a bare bottom tank. I ran it 100% constant speed while maturing the tank. It was dead quiet. It runs 0-30% now with a 2 second ramp in a 10 second cycle. Nothing ever settles on my bare bottom. I can even feed with no return or gyre, then when I switch them on everything settled becomes suspended again. The corals are waving and flowing, but not flying away. Love it.

OP
OP
theKoolAidMan

theKoolAidMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 29 - Well that Escalated Fast

0j7fqT-NciJqsYu-NQQpXgr-2lI_ObOeX9OX5LiLKMOhvti9JnQaVIKQnDHTLQ4HXMZ8mYTk6sQwPgaiMYmx9xnbUGoXqV7BprOEjhQd2LcUYIaV7fXbOZILmDLkBZ0oNuuHW9kOHt1r-FXYbXv4bW7J3M7KEiCtN3H0XVp7plpX5Ou_UNarJvZBkjTNTyezBnVA6Pbgt_Jw1MW2uKnKg7AyJ_l6fnHPzn-AnxULYJ2tQ4y815E5zYRrVh2dls0GssxORnWS65YUVjGM9hrQnIZWVuDwW-ILIS2-Ci05W8C1x_gTaBa9WkUzcwLLsuEVxpSdhpYwNiY3Jk3x_w3hqoN4SiqGthUuApTMij8oGuBRFEYcD_q483wVpTC4OMtyVuSxt5bwxKXtFMVLx2fzEpE75oIHgNgFlAacA_5Yqim2xig3Dk2szjPcleQCrMxxxXIJIrdCQMHPI705-EPvJFHPxLUkGH3MJ6lmLQuOs-zaPZCK9x1Af-RSCexwZgrEXtsKtsIudVaOCH42MkJMuuYqAFbQWbTXfPfPVbJcAiWnz__bGLsCEsAdSD818YupNhkbW2fl-i8YX7uGKTgAFEP0JR4kfr7CxWgqLYxUN5l8v7AhDCKxrMoSDdIge83W=w3000-h1180-no

-The Method-

*Added a Royal Gramma, Tomini Tang, and Coral Beauty
*Nitrates Consistently Zero??

-The Madness-

Returning the blue spotted puffer was sad for both me and my wife as we really liked his personality and he was a blast to watch. Unfortunately his appetite for corals made his continued membership in the club a non-starter.

Still, the quest to find the perfect combination of fish continued. About the same time as we added the puffer, we also added a Coral Beauty angelfish. You might be saying, "Wait, you returned a fish for nipping corals and added another fish that can nip corals??!?!". Well...yes. Difference here is I have personal experience with Coral Beauties and they've always been model citizens for me. Never a nip and never any aggression. I felt confident adding one, and I'm happy to say it's turned out well. Just last my last CB 10+ years ago, this guy is the absolute perfect tank inhabitant. He's out all day swimming the tank doing his best tang impression by picking at the rocks. He ignores everyone else in the tank and the only time he comes near a coral is to try and munch on some algae on a frag plug. Like clownfish, I love these fish so much I can't imagine ever setting up a reef tank without one.

Our Naoko wrasse continues to settle in and is doing great as well. His coloration has started to change a bit as well. He'll occasionally flash at me when it's feeding time and I'm next to the tank, which reveals iridescent blue specks on his tail and dorsal fins, as well as some blue stripes on his head. At the shop he was only red, yellow, and white, and all online photos I've seen are the same. I'm going to take this as a sign that he's healthy and happy in the tank. He's certainly getting enough food!

dVliYZ2IJWjxibKchPQhz1z6Nu4BAcIsMV2UFrOWgR2dubre3uXrEUnQSJa1QrDLppIjL4QjzgmAeowj2JxoXmGq3I-7HRNv53zG_jd19iALVqNr6G_sikZzvVX9PUODKutXBRmXJdHjekQCavc48C0gL7RxFpgJ7eX2T1lSJ1GIBN-ELAUx3jHXKSIqpYwRL5O5O-ZOq3TOu5iUoiO-X3gKgpa8nhMBLgcpftAUuDaDwRY_ZWYwCSYDt_AoY3pVUgQ9v14hhqpMSYyKicE4KE68WXwWLbhdZiFdLWaIUvpZm9kJaXsi2PgzeErMveL70SDnNvYeUTQOImUqB-3Zl0D44pra-iHVM0BRtcs18aswgZiBDlv23CeLoDHkvam26AYnaKzjzd2Mns5gWqrfQ8uJuxqVXqEt_Er_X_O5JonbydVLCzPr0tl0FB6eXY4DahVXdnVNeC79jokKas-_UMPsFPfQho9CcKTtPMeCrjytg-O3p3vq1OIyLFK2xLEpfNCwH3ZRQenBU9S4C1GlLX4w75CyskRwYc5pdvgtqf1MT0_TIy4y8jAhcPA5GI0RdUJYD50CkpaAiM_vq1y5lkiJ2gX0VY1nM1XylRWS8vXXMxI6LHkLliFzJtI7rwZl=w2634-h1728-no

A few days ago we also added our newest members, a Tomini Tang and a Royal Gramma. Both have been a bit problematic thus far. The tomini instantly took a disliking to our Starry Blenny, Jabba. Anytime he saw him descend to the sand to feed or swim around the rocks he was all over him, ramming him with his mouth. He wasn't biting him, more just running into him with an open mouth. I also saw a couple of tail swipes, so I figured he would have to come out of the tank and go back. However, Jabba, the blenny, over a few days started to learn a few things, as did the Tomini. First, Jabba learned that it's best not to swim out to the sand or graze on a rock anywhere near the tomini. He then learned that he was bigger than the Tomini and that he really didn't get hurt by the nose bumping. So for a day he was petrified of the tang and would panic and swim away as soon as he even saw him. However the last two days...he doesn't really give a dang. He is big and knows it and feeds as he pleases. The Tomini has also learned that Jabba is big and can be tough and is not nearly as aggressive as he initially was. He only really seems to care about Jabba now if he happens to be grazing next to him, in which case he'll peck or bump him. Most of the time, Jabba just let's him and refuses to move. Eventually Jabba will get irritated enough by the Tomini bumping him over and over in rapid succession that he'll lazily swim back to the rockwork and wait 10 seconds or so until the Tomini moves on, and then just return to grazing. It would seem they've felt each other out a bit. While I don't expect the Tomini to ever fully ignore Jabba, It seems that they will be able to coexist with each other at arms length. I'll also note that other than some tail swipes on the first two days, nothing nearly that aggressive has happened since. Jabba stealing nori literally out of the tomini's mouth and occasionally actually chasing him away may have made the Tomini realize that while he may fancy himself president of the tank, dictators will not be tolerated.

t7HX0jyyQksVSRcHes42SGkGgW_Y4GCem1oxqY5cNfjXNYOzqZ_qrSEazXVf8SLWH9vPEN4wlI5S3tK4RLsEKwlkdwK7x1kDaSZyOt8MPDbdXSAe3bjMsMMqyvZXCY39MTI68v7_qn9nrancIPcncTPSeXLPRQFM5b0dej6MRIHhiveOsQGbP58C2mv6vg8q6aP0uJrkB8Su_g1q9Hmd6GYkf6D1DSIBkEBuSso_7IO7j7tfWcvmrVL4g7tNPw2b1njTub-SlYxVosRZkA7GB3hHuQQj_qjakhqoP1hURZzwNPsdqD3YB-Wo9bmxdqrMAzSJ3FTXDX8_2jK2GQGkRKMyxK7unQxhFzQEPx_AqaInJDm8466r8d-U4uRKKFrFRTWa13C8U1K_YqPwYfXZ-pggjev8misk-G9U4oGlSoA_i-LedobkFzRqTMFNoMPs8q5ovU978eZAPzckQg8YkDwu-I-7lIRjjt8R5qqfYb9FhO3FJWVwr7UasQ01QASuJjUsL1ItyvQuzGTuYjazBw_CCEZuj5S5i4LULdm81nprdmI4bXyQJzdgjoVcNA4k6T0rCh0imiG8CK5WClVr5VIxd0DbGklzTbCUOkyeGEilncHqB83fscmz9ZZbwJuV=w2594-h1728-no

The royal gramma is a bit larger than you normally see in most shops. he's pretty much fully grown at a solid 3-4 inches. I chose him over some of the smaller 1-2 inch ones the shop had for two main reasons. First, he was in the same tank at the LFS as the Tomini that we got at the same time, so I figured they'd be chill with each other. Second, the tank has mostly 2-4 inch fish at the moment, and I thought that getting too small of a RG would make him skittish and scared. Well, turns out he's scared anyway. I didn't see him once in the first two days of having him. Yesterday he came out to feed when I offered the tank some frozen mysis, but he immediately returned to his cave network after stealing a few pieces. Today he spent much more time out. While he still spends most of his time hidden, he will poke his head out and occasionally go for a short swim near his cave entrances. All sounds well as good except that Jabba, the Starry Belnny, seems to hate him with the fire of a thousand stars. Any sight of the RG even from across the tank sends him charging after and chase him back to his cave. I don't see much of a solution to this. Jabba is our favorite fish, so he's not going anywhere, and trying to get the RG out of the rocks would mean emptying all the rock from the tank, which I'm not willing to do due to the coral frags attached. He is able to eat without harrassment and does get out of his cave a bit, so I'm just going to have to wait and see. Thankfully RG are fish that spend most of their time in caves and rockwork naturally anyway, only popping out for food or to hover around the entrance, so it's not like he's forcing a swimming like a wrasse into hiding.

JX0YS9EhoIdyUII6XXoRq0An483Zt3Xo6OkYax3xVqJkoZphFEKrg65UMlhLM61OoI8PS9-KDgip_gw_Z5bSpUQ5B_GGD4wAsJVEdT3aOCdzlBaeRgFnaAsgeQ75MM2gF-AUFicKbAA96qm-zcluNacwcREe03Q2yZH2cnjgwhE8svi1kC9De3ubEa4klBb74tKElnYWpb4i-ug3I29DfQhuv7NmJCDPxByJRFJ7hX11Ot54FnTeyxBzwW0i8SspvSyF3mxlfONBadedyWmVaThnBxjz22jY0hHjtu32g63H9SCESGdRM7s_8NNingqAhnTwcXz6g2k41sJKPXEMurIoo-UvnHyTPkVS6s08ltoecAgDJ_qYOl06Bvp7UMHeyT0mGemhEevtp77576kLUKvpMjhch13dDv6kbxCvESnKqBnibGpx1PHYpT5Qw3w2QO-m5WQuDrsGaX3opEA36rVb-_beTtjieF2Z1ada6qXmVwDvZ9Lb42OXB33PacT3MD1RlGQl6BjwcOE7_youTApMRUb2aY76rxiWqjskej_Xw0wxfwgj2yLZvUAIWU9RCZFpl7rbpSuYxSKAnvcutgF9GYHnXtelZFkVt-UjaLvEmykkFCMXP6IolNwu5kh9=w2594-h1728-no

Enjoy the couple of photos, and let me know if you've had similar problems with tangs and blennies, and blennies and royal grammas.

YhgQKzLiMXoFU72FGGim6QBErWYoPMQmoAw9RteGexWfUzD19b1BYZGodQMbowAQ0jMTu8wsajT76ON5mn4LVVXp54XgZMT1Gf50R2IJqHIrCfWQbfNZKAVOm7ZSH7alchv7yRidI9KQlIFtuA892h12hobMxpBZWGvPFpVdO2pkqgzWJhVhBML4Qy0zJrkFggUhuL4hgbGtfbLLrrbOzKIWoVY9GhuoqzqCT3ww0EI4VeIwssQeizoo9QQV1NtObSLdrwTJdG3fY6ysgOjYgDRlMT57wmFcdblYOIa92bEWDqfiaH3Kc03F66UaXmXQBNNuB_0QKV7nMkUi8nwdkXoeNBqo46eIetejhk-mN-FmsHBJdH6DdYP_u9-X16orRr2aVDOMqlK6RbwhryaU1nO29LxoTgTmgNFS8OtDoL0Jdd46drBeLHxyaKlzR9jUg191xCIClVQMc2mO9c3Mbu8MYOlR1kknRyi-sl7gPhym_MjVnz4b7ogFb4xf9AC1WyqsaRnrsWpPjhdUVjsIeZh9P5zM6aF5SnpxeTEfg13Z6DyqejeRSl_QrKdoWha9Q1u69KnxX19Na_Ifg_tH6jvd9QVBCWOVc7J6xDhM3ti94WCAVWOTU4B2BtSQ7jSm=w2592-h1728-no

Dan_K1309

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bare bottom tank. I ran it 100% constant speed while maturing the tank. It was dead quiet. It runs 0-30% now with a 2 second ramp in a 10 second cycle. Nothing ever settles on my bare bottom. I can even feed with no return or gyre, then when I switch them on everything settled becomes suspended again. The corals are waving and flowing, but not flying away. Love it.

We have had our 1K a few says now and love it. Have it set to ramp up to 50% then to 30% etc. It’s a nice pump and will eventually get another one. Have a great Labor Day Weekend!

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 121 42.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 97 34.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 45 15.9%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.8%
Back