Back to reefing after about 15 years.

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! Colorado USA reefer here. Well a lot has changed for the better(except for $$$$, lol) since I broke down my tanks and moved 15 years ago. Trying to do things right from the beginning this time but I have already made a few mistakes. My dry rock is cured, tank cycled and fish look and act happy and healthy. However, I bought my two clownfish from Petco but did not qt or treat for disease. Tank is a bare bottom 60g hex with about 50lbs of dry rock. Fish have been in for almost 7 weeks. Setting up a qt tank now for future fish but worried about the current fish being carriers of disease even though they show no signs. This tank will eventually seed a Waterbox 72” room dividing(kind of) peninsula about 11 months from now so I have time but like most lack patients. Big question is, should I put my two clowns in the qt tank and treat while leaving the DT sit for 72+ days to assure the tank and rock are free from disease as well as the current and future fish. Is there a for sure way to treat my tank with the fish in it at the same time? My goal is to have a healthy tank with about 5 fish in it and nice purple rock by the time the new tank is setup. Thanks for any advice.
AEE7773D-4273-4685-A4D8-6DB44894D05E.jpeg
If the fish seem happy and healthy, I wouldn't worry about it at this point. Just QT in the future. You don't say what you plans are for this tank? If anything I would be suspect of the composition of the rocks/bricks on the bottom?

OP
OP
B

Backtoreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the fish seem happy and healthy, I wouldn't worry about it at this point. Just QT in the future. You don't say what you plans are for this tank? If anything I would be suspect of the composition of the rocks/bricks on the bottom?
I was waiting for someone to mention that, lol. The tank is almost 30” deep and my arms are too short, 18” is ideal but will never go over 24” again in the future. This tank is going to be as bare bones and stable as I can make it without spending funds on equipment I won’t be able to use on a larger tank, it’s already setup doing continuous water changes with two Versa pumps to help maintain stability. I also wanted to get the rock up a little higher to the surface without building a slope up the back glass. The pic is terrible but the rock is a few inches away from the glass in all directions. I was going to go with a deep sand bed but still debating bare bottom. If I can wait it out and finances stay in track for a much bigger tank, this tank will seed the bigger tank in about a year and be a fowlr for that time. Maybe 5-6 small fish that will need a bigger tank in a year or two. I have a small fish room with a mixing station and a bench for hospital/QT tanks and a room on the other side if that for a no frills frag tank.
010DB754-74AD-4173-8A25-87A091F46F07.jpeg
DADEE8DF-9737-42CD-9D31-C8CF3EB48D69.jpeg

Jholley565

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! Colorado USA reefer here. Well a lot has changed for the better(except for $$$$, lol) since I broke down my tanks and moved 15 years ago. Trying to do things right from the beginning this time but I have already made a few mistakes. My dry rock is cured, tank cycled and fish look and act happy and healthy. However, I bought my two clownfish from Petco but did not qt or treat for disease. Tank is a bare bottom 60g hex with about 50lbs of dry rock. Fish have been in for almost 7 weeks. Setting up a qt tank now for future fish but worried about the current fish being carriers of disease even though they show no signs. This tank will eventually seed a Waterbox 72” room dividing(kind of) peninsula about 11 months from now so I have time but like most lack patients. Big question is, should I put my two clowns in the qt tank and treat while leaving the DT sit for 72+ days to assure the tank and rock are free from disease as well as the current and future fish. Is there a for sure way to treat my tank with the fish in it at the same time? My goal is to have a healthy tank with about 5 fish in it and nice purple rock by the time the new tank is setup. Thanks for any advice.
AEE7773D-4273-4685-A4D8-6DB44894D05E.jpeg
I wouldn’t go through the trouble if they look healthy. I would just QT every fish from this point on.

Cathics88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back to the hobby and to R2R! Look forward to seeing your planned build. Good luck and happy reefing! I wouldn't worry about your clowns if they seem fine, just keep an eye out for anything and qt in the future.

vessxpress1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d be tempted to remove these clowns and quarantine. If the tank will be a fish only you could treat them in the main tank with no worry but you’re likely going to treat with non reef safe copper treatments so the only option would be to take them out now to be safe. They can carry diseases into a tank while appearing healthy that’s why you have to quarantine. If you quarantine everything from now on and end up with something in the tank you’ll pretty much know you lost the gamble on the clowns. And then you end up doing this anyway. It’s just a gamble. You could win. Lol

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back