Back to reefing after about 15 years.

Backtoreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! Colorado USA reefer here. Well a lot has changed for the better(except for $$$$, lol) since I broke down my tanks and moved 15 years ago. Trying to do things right from the beginning this time but I have already made a few mistakes. My dry rock is cured, tank cycled and fish look and act happy and healthy. However, I bought my two clownfish from Petco but did not qt or treat for disease. Tank is a bare bottom 60g hex with about 50lbs of dry rock. Fish have been in for almost 7 weeks. Setting up a qt tank now for future fish but worried about the current fish being carriers of disease even though they show no signs. This tank will eventually seed a Waterbox 72” room dividing(kind of) peninsula about 11 months from now so I have time but like most lack patients. Big question is, should I put my two clowns in the qt tank and treat while leaving the DT sit for 72+ days to assure the tank and rock are free from disease as well as the current and future fish. Is there a for sure way to treat my tank with the fish in it at the same time? My goal is to have a healthy tank with about 5 fish in it and nice purple rock by the time the new tank is setup. Thanks for any advice.
AEE7773D-4273-4685-A4D8-6DB44894D05E.jpeg

Silverfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back and you are definitely doing the right thing by using the R2R forum. I was in the same situation. Got back into the hobby after a decade. Lots of changes but some things always stay the same.
Before....Your LFS was generally your only source of personal knowledge. Now a butt ton of reefers will hv opinions. So just like before....take your time and research, and the reefers around here are more then happy to help.
Happy Reefing!

OP
OP
B

Backtoreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome... have you considered emptying the tank, drying/cleaning rocks, putting clowns in QT (maybe TTM) and restarting it.
That I have not. When you say clean the rock do you mean rinse or bleach bath? Thanks for the suggestion.
The TTM is what I was thinking about doing with future fish but then I read some cons regarding Marine Velvet still making it through.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Welcome to R2R!
Look into the TTM Hybrid method. You can treat the tank with H2O2 but not copper. The copper will leach into the rocks.
Are the Clowns showing sign of disease? If they aren't I would consider myself lucky ans not worry about it, but I would quarantine everything else from here on out.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 94 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back