Backpack Octopus Protein Skimmer BH 100

  • Thread starter Thread starter wambo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

wambo

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 1, 2015
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I plan to go to vacation for 3 weeks, how can I configure my Protein Skimmer BH 100 so that the collector cup doesn't go over or over fill?
 
3 weeks is a long time to leave a skimmer and not expect it to get too full. Is someone watching the tank throughout those 3 weeks to feed, top off, etc? If so have them empty it at least once a week to avoid it. You can always put a bucket or something on the ground under it so if it does overflow it will at least not get all over your floor.
 
Yea no sitter don't trust people in my house while I am away; I have everything else ready and also said I could technically afford to turn off the skimmer for 3 weeks that if I do a 30 percent water change before and after the vacation.
 
In that case you are better off just turning the skimmer off. 3 weeks is a long time for stuff to go wrong with a skimmer. If it does decide to overflow and go crazy then it will cause your top off water to saturate the tank and drop salinity, a bigger issue than not having a skimmer for 3 weeks. Do a big water change before you leave and when you get back. Feed light while you are away to minimize waste build up.
 
Good point, Thanks!
I wish Reef Octopus would build an overflow pipe or hose for the waste area.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 20 22.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 27 29.7%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 12.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new