Bacteria in rock question

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mike7744
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Mike7744

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 29, 2021
Messages
403
Reaction score
183
Location
Wareham
What state or country do you live in
Massachusetts
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 125 gal aquarium, with 60 lbs of live rock. I want to make my own rock work, and take out my live rock. I'm not happy with it, can't make a pleasing rock scape. I want to make something that fills the aquarium with caves and ledges that will be great to look at. It is a Fowler tank.
So...... if I fill my sump with 30 lbs of live rock and take the rest out of the display, will I have enough bacteria in the tank/rock to filter the water? Without creating any problems. Is this possible to do?
 
In principle, I would have to say "Yes." Your sump is a water-volume extension of your overall bio-system. So if you were to add 'new' uncured dry rock to your tank, right along with your current rock-- or in your idea-- drop your current rock down into the sump instead-- safe result.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new