Bacterial Bloom 2 in 1 question

erm0715

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone experienced a bacterial bloom after using Fritz Turbostart and secondly, is there any merit to running a skimmer during a bloom?

I had the same experience on a smaller tank set up last year started with Fritz. Several weeks to a month or so into the set up the tank water column became opaque for a few days and cleared up. I was not running a skimmer at the time. It was opaque enough I could see it swirl coming off the small jebao nero knockoffs. No ill effects from the bloom.

New tank has been up for a bit and having the same situation. Water column is opaque, hard to see full 48inch length of tank. Plenty of flow with a few mp40's and the surface agitation from return lines and no ill effects on current inhabitants. I do have a nyos 160 running that is spewing bubbles but again, not really a concern. Question on this part is, is it beneficial running the skimmer in a bloom or does it matter?

Thanks!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Has anyone experienced a bacterial bloom after using Fritz Turbostart and secondly, is there any merit to running a skimmer during a bloom?

I had the same experience on a smaller tank set up last year started with Fritz. Several weeks to a month or so into the set up the tank water column became opaque for a few days and cleared up. I was not running a skimmer at the time. It was opaque enough I could see it swirl coming off the small jebao nero knockoffs. No ill effects from the bloom.

New tank has been up for a bit and having the same situation. Water column is opaque, hard to see full 48inch length of tank. Plenty of flow with a few mp40's and the surface agitation from return lines and no ill effects on current inhabitants. I do have a nyos 160 running that is spewing bubbles but again, not really a concern. Question on this part is, is it beneficial running the skimmer in a bloom or does it matter?

Thanks!
Skimmer will help condense and remove inorganics and molecules . Some bacteria can cause temporary bloom

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

a couple of others have seen the same with fritz...
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/a...range-clove-pico-aquarium.814720/post-8903118

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/slightly-cloudy-water.726035/post-7550545

(I don't know if a small number of reports with fritz turbo start is significantly more than people would report with other cycling bacteria, or not)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back