Bacterial infection? Injury or other?

all Things Aquatic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone help identify what could have killed this blonde Naso tang? He came out of QT medicated with copper and looked beautiful. Took to a customer’s tank and he died one day later snd had these black marks all over him. Anyone know what it could be?

9B1CA92D-30DF-4FDB-B403-E11AF4A32890.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone help identify what could have killed this blonde Naso tang? He came out of QT medicated with copper and looked beautiful. Took to a customer’s tank and he died one day later snd had these black marks all over him. Anyone know what it could be?

9B1CA92D-30DF-4FDB-B403-E11AF4A32890.jpeg
Those marks don't strike a familiar chord with me.....other than bruising.

Did the marks extend to the other side of the fish or just the right side?
Do you know what other fish they have in their tank?
Do you know the salinity/specific gravity difference between your system and the customers?

Jay Hemdal

Jay

OP
OP
A

all Things Aquatic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those marks don't strike a familiar chord with me.....other than bruising.

Did the marks extend to the other side of the fish or just the right side?
Do you know what other fish they have in their tank?
Do you know the salinity/specific gravity difference between your system and the customers?

Jay Hemdal

Jay
Thanks for the reply Jay. I will find out if the black marks are on both sides or just the one.

They have a pair of clowns, a blue hippo, and a small snowflake eel. We acclimated a naoki wrasse at the same time as the blonde Naso and he’s doing fine.

customer’s tank is at

OP
OP
A

all Things Aquatic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply Jay. I will find out if the black marks are on both sides or just the one.

They have a pair of clowns, a blue hippo, and a small snowflake eel. We acclimated a naoki wrasse at the same time as the blonde Naso and he’s doing fine.

customer’s tank is at 1.025, same as our QT tanks at the store. No ammonia, or nitrites, and very low nitrates.

The only issues he’s had with the tank was : we saw flukes on his clowns a couple weeks ago, so freshwater dipped them and medicated API general cure. The clowns now look fine, and the blue hippo never had them. Think it could be related?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

customer’s tank is at 1.025, same as our QT tanks at the store. No ammonia, or nitrites, and very low nitrates.

The only issues he’s had with the tank was : we saw flukes on his clowns a couple weeks ago, so freshwater dipped them and medicated API general cure. The clowns now look fine, and the blue hippo never had them. Think it could be related?
Sorry, I stumped. Aside from bruising, I can't tell you what this might be. I don't think it is related to flukes, those kill fish much slower, weeks not overnight.

Jay

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 32.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back