Blotches on White Tail Tang

CroMag676

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone identify what is on the tail of this white tail tang? I got him 4 days ago. He is in QT with two wrasses. I am hoping to add another fish before starting a course of medication but the earliest the 4th fish could be added is Thursday. Other than the blotches, the fish looks happy and healthy. I have copper, Prazi, Metro, and GC at the ready. Thank you.

20240415_073527.png

The other spots are on the glass.

20240415_080238.jpg
20240415_073539.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CroMag676 Welcome to the Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis Forum!

The #fishmedic team and other knowledgeable members of our community will do our best to help you resolve your questions. Please provide as much of the following as you are able:
  • Brief description of the issue you are observing and answers to the following questions:
    • How long have you had the fish with the condition?
    • Did you quarantine with medication when you first acquired the fish? (If Yes, which medication?)
  • Current water quality measurements
  • Clear photos of the issue taken using WHITE light and/or a short video of any behaviors (post in your response or on YouTube).
If you can help us by providing as much of the above info as possible, it will make diagnosing and providing recommendations for treatment MUCH easier! The Fish Medic team will get back to you as quickly as possible. In the meantime, other members of our community may also share their experience with similar situations and advice that they may have regarding your situation.

You may also feel free to provide a more detailed description of the condition if you wish to share more info than the above list.

Additionally, these links may be useful while you await a response:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
As
Can someone identify what is on the tail of this white tail tang? I got him 4 days ago. He is in QT with two wrasses. I am hoping to add another fish before starting a course of medication but the earliest the 4th fish could be added is Thursday. Other than the blotches, the fish looks happy and healthy. I have copper, Prazi, Metro, and GC at the ready. Thank you.

20240415_073527.png

The other spots are on the glass.

20240415_080238.jpg
20240415_073539.jpg
Assure good water quality and diet
This often stems from bacterial issue. Many will feed nori and fish need’s meats also such as LRS herbivore frenzy, mysis, plankton and spirulina brine shrimp

OP
OP
CroMag676

CroMag676

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As

Assure good water quality and diet
This often stems from bacterial issue. Many will feed nori and fish need’s meats also such as LRS herbivore frenzy, mysis, plankton and spirulina brine shrimp
Okay, I'll do a water change, thaw out some herbivore frenzy, and let him chill until I'm ready to medicate. Thank you!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Okay, I'll do a water change, thaw out some herbivore frenzy, and let him chill until I'm ready to medicate. Thank you!
If it continues, treat in separate tank with seachem kanaplex

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
CroMag676

CroMag676

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For wrasses, I prefer neoplex
Sorry, I wasn't clear. You said that if it continues, treat him in a separate tank with Seachem Kanaplex. Since he is already in the QT tank to be treated with the rest of the new arrivals, can I treat everyone with the Kanaplex or do I have to separate him? I planned to treat everyone together and add them to the display as a group to help with any possible territorial disputes.

OP
OP
CroMag676

CroMag676

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d give him 1 sheet nori each and every day in addition to whatever else is fed.
I'm giving him about 2-3 square inches of nori daily. Should I offer more? He's still skittish, so I don't know if he's eating it but he is going HAM on the algae in the tank.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Sorry, I wasn't clear. You said that if it continues, treat him in a separate tank with Seachem Kanaplex. Since he is already in the QT tank to be treated with the rest of the new arrivals, can I treat everyone with the Kanaplex or do I have to separate him? I planned to treat everyone together and add them to the display as a group to help with any possible territorial disputes.
Start with fish only as this is rarely contagious unless you have a water quality issue

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm giving him about 2-3 square inches of nori daily. Should I offer more? He's still skittish, so I don't know if he's eating it but he is going HAM on the algae in the tank.
Nope that’s fine. Just wanted to make sure this food item is available, it’s an important contributor to health in this group.

OP
OP
CroMag676

CroMag676

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start with fish only as this is rarely contagious unless you have a water quality issue
I've been keeping him fed and doing water changes but things seem to be getting worse. The spots on the tail haven't gotten any smaller and there is a new spot on the left side of his dorsal. The spots on his forehead and near the pectoral fins could be from a disagreement with the PVC pipes but I can't be sure.

I started Kanaplex on Thursday and didn't notice any improvement, so I dosed again yesterday. According to the instructions, I can only provide one more dose. Today I made this video to show the fish's current state.

Sorry for the length but he didn't like the looks of my phone.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I've been keeping him fed and doing water changes but things seem to be getting worse. The spots on the tail haven't gotten any smaller and there is a new spot on the left side of his dorsal. The spots on his forehead and near the pectoral fins could be from a disagreement with the PVC pipes but I can't be sure.

I started Kanaplex on Thursday and didn't notice any improvement, so I dosed again yesterday. According to the instructions, I can only provide one more dose. Today I made this video to show the fish's current state.

Sorry for the length but he didn't like the looks of my phone.

Great video clarity and LENGTH. The white tail appears to have injury from pvc or other object and has bacterial issue. The wrasses also appear thin and I will emphasize to focus on water quality and it appears you just began Kanaplex this past Thursday. It will take Kanaplex 2-3 days to BEGIN working on issue and often improvement day 5 or but not complete healing. Mori will not be the answer for these fish while in quarantine as for food source

OP
OP
CroMag676

CroMag676

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great video clarity and LENGTH. The white tail appears to have injury from pvc or other object and has bacterial issue. The wrasses also appear thin and I will emphasize to focus on water quality and it appears you just began Kanaplex this past Thursday. It will take Kanaplex 2-3 days to BEGIN working on issue and often improvement day 5 or but not complete healing. Mori will not be the answer for these fish while in quarantine as for food source
They get .5 ml of Reef Frenzy, twice daily. Should I feed more?

Also, can I do anything about the PVC?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
They get .5 ml of Reef Frenzy, twice daily. Should I feed more?

Also, can I do anything about the PVC?
Feel the openings for any sharp edges and sand or file down to smooth

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 62 74.7%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back