Bacterial Issue After Live Rock

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I added 20 pounds of real Aussie live rock that I drove and picked up and kept submerged the whole time a couple weeks ago, I rinsed it all in salt water before adding it to the tank. I now noticed my mesh socks are getting plugged up with a slippery clear goo, also what looks like some bacteria growing in power heads.

Coral has been doing amazing and all the the sps have had amazing polyp extension. I checked my water storage jug that’s used for auto water changes and no bacteria to be found. I do not add any bacteria additives. No aresol is sprayed in the house at all. This bacteria is causing my filter socks to plug solid every 2 days.

I’m running a 57 watt UV off a dedicated pump to a return. SG 1.026- nitrates 5- phosphates .06. PH 8-8.20- alk 7.93- cal 486- mg 1407

Only thing I can think of it’s something from the live rock or skimmer pulling something from outside. I purchased some dr. Tim’s probiotic but haven’t dosed it yet. I don’t want to do anything crazy as the coral has been doing great, all fish are healthy.

Any thoughts on this?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you carbon dosing (biopellets, nopox, vinegar/vodka, etc.)? Do you have an air freshener near the tank added semi recently?

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is real Aussie reef rock can I see a picture sounds like something I would be interested in

Here ya go, my lights are off but that’s what I bought. Rock is awesome, I hand picked through it as a few pieces in a second holding tank had some aptasia on it. Got a couple gorilla crabs That I had to remove, other than that it’s been clean from pest as far as I can tell

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here ya go, my lights are off but that’s what I bought. Rock is awesome, I hand picked through it as a few pieces in a second holding tank had some aptasia on it. Got a couple gorilla crabs That I had to remove, other than that it’s been clean from pest as far as I can tell
Hey thanks will definitely have to check this out I am located in Houston so Austin is not that far

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rock probably had die off from shipping. I got some kp rock and got too much. Left the rock in a bucket and forgot about it and the next day the whole top of the water was bacteria snot. That’s probably what your seeing. Keep an eye on nutrients.

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rock probably had die off from shipping. I got some kp rock and got too much. Left the rock in a bucket and forgot about it and the next day the whole top of the water was bacteria snot. That’s probably what your seeing. Keep an eye on nutrients.

I went and picked it up myself and it was in saltwater kept in a cooler for 3.5 hours, I would hope I wouldn't get die-off that fast but who knows. I changed out the socks this morning, and well some bacteria growth is still there it's far less. All of the critters and sponges were alive and well, still doing great in the tank.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 42.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back