Bacto balance bloom

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

topjimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is a 65gal with 20 gallon sump. First dose of BB yesterday 1ml, second dose today the same, tank looked great until about an hour ago and now it's cloudy and the skimmer is going nuts. Maybe a little bit too much for a start. I assume I should stop dosing until it clears up and then cut the doses to maybe .25 ml

This stuff is crazy powerful compared to vodka.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before this thread turns into a train derailment....
It seems the BB is just reacting to what is there. Before you added it where were your PO4/No3 at? I am curious because I am actually adding Plus NP to raise my PO4 up and once I get there I was going to start BB

OP
OP
topjimmy

topjimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before this thread turns into a train derailment....
It seems the BB is just reacting to what is there. Before you added it where were your PO4/No3 at? I am curious because I am actually adding Plus NP to raise my PO4 up and once I get there I was going to start BB
NO3 was between 10-20, not sure what the PO4 was because the dang battery blew up in my tester and after cleaning it with a little vinegar it won't turn on.
Might just get a salifert kit, but I just bought refill reagents

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This stuff is crazy powerful compared to vodka.
Regarding organic carbon it is not. We calculated it and dosed it comparable to vodka dosing.

What might render the NP-Bacto-Balance more efficient may be the trace elements. If bacterial growth and carbon degradation where limited by trace elements or maybe by phosphate, the bacterial bloom may have been made possible by trace element dosing, not by the organic carbon dosing.

In our test and at most users, NP-Bacto-Balance dosing caused nor bacterial bloom, which in my eyes shows that our calculations are right. Cloudiness is limited to a few exception where I think there was a buildup of organic carbon which was not degraded due to trace element limitation before NP-Bacto-Balance dosing.

OP
OP
topjimmy

topjimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Hans,
That's interesting I wouldn't have thought about that. Looks like it cleaned up overnight, I'll check my NO3 and see where it's at.

OP
OP
topjimmy

topjimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a couple of weeks in and everything is going great. I bought the large bottle and am only dosing 1ml per day to keep everything where I like it. Question is, can I take some of the BB and put it in a smaller container that I can draw out of? I'm worried about contamination if I draw straight out of the large bottle, plus eventually it will be difficult to do so.

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a couple of weeks in and everything is going great. I bought the large bottle and am only dosing 1ml per day to keep everything where I like it. Question is, can I take some of the BB and put it in a smaller container that I can draw out of? I'm worried about contamination if I draw straight out of the large bottle, plus eventually it will be difficult to do so.
Sorry for my late reply due to our company holidays. Of course you can take out some NP-Bacto-Balance for dosing and storage. Please do not dilute it with water, but just taking some out and store it in a smaller container is no problem.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back