Bad bottle of Red Sea foundation?

Ling_Thing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just opened this brand new bottle of Red Sea foundation B and shook it up and poured into my dosing container and I noticed it’s very brown and cloudy with a lot of debris settling at the bottom. I suspect i got a bad bottle somehow and it came from BRS and seal was unbroken. Thought Red Sea has good QC?

upload_2018-10-20_11-58-12.jpeg

upload_2018-10-20_11-56-38.jpeg

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought part B was the alk part. You are showing part A?

Calcium chloride can have brown sediment in it, probably iron. Prestone Driveway heat was known for that, and generally was fine.

But getting a new bottle is fine too. let us know if it has the same coloration. :)

OP
OP
Ling_Thing

Ling_Thing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought part B was the alk part. You are showing part A?

Calcium chloride can have brown sediment in it, probably iron. Prestone Driveway heat was known for that, and generally was fine.

But getting a new bottle is fine too. let us know if it has the same coloration. :)
Whoops sorry I did say foundation B my bad, but yes new bottle on the way and guys on the Facebook said there’s looks the same who knows we shall see

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoops sorry I did say foundation B my bad, but yes new bottle on the way and guys on the Facebook said there’s looks the same who knows we shall see

OK, let us know what the new one looks like. :)

OP
OP
Ling_Thing

Ling_Thing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the new bottle arrived and it looks the same. I poured it all into the dosing container and noticed the bottle was still heavy even after shaking and I look in the bottle and it looks like there’s an inch or more of settled crstalized something so I pour that into my dosing container too and I set my magnetic stirrer on 40 percent and it just won’t dissolve and is clogging my hard tube from the dosing container to the bulkhead connector. Any thoughts on this?

OP
OP
Ling_Thing

Ling_Thing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just diluted it 50:50 with rodi and doubling the normal dose and it’s working great!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk products often get precipitates in them since they are often pushing solubility and if they get cold, will precipitate.

Calcium supplements are generally fully soluble, Not sure why it might not be.

Just dose whatever dissolves on dilution or warming, and ignore the rest. :)

Back