Bad Hanna checker ALK reagent?

porterreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone I have been trying to figure out what is going on with most recent bottle of reagent. I noticed that there is something floating around in the sample cuvettes after I put the reagent in. You will see the stringy looking stuff floating in the water column.I have some pictures but with the curved cuvettes makes pictures hard to get quality right. Let me know what you all think whats going on. I will contact Hanna and see what they have to stay and if it will cause any major differences in testing results.

20180120_182311.jpg

20180120_182313.jpg

20180120_182314.jpg

rpeters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen the same and shaking the reagent before opening seems to help, appeared it was sucking it up from the bottom of bottle. I havent noticed a difference in reading with and with out the floaters. dont however know what it is

OP
OP
porterreef

porterreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen the same and shaking the reagent before opening seems to help, appeared it was sucking it up from the bottom of bottle. I havent noticed a difference in reading with and with out the floaters. dont however know what it is
You are right about sucking it up from the bottom but I try to shake it every time. When I test just because there is the off chance that an error or bad reading can occur in always sample in triplicate and average the 3 reading. I haven't noticed any issues or off normal readings with the floating debris, just wanted to see if it was just me. The reagent is still good till 11/2018 so I know it's not because of age.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be the paper cover they seal the bottles with. Whatever it is, it will reflect light giving an innacurate reading. Id check their batch number online though to see if its reported bad or not.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back