Bad ICP test *HELP*

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sent 2 ICP tests, One for my RODI, and one for my new 200G. and the results wasn't what I expected.

I have HIGH ten, High aluminum, and IRON. It's brand new tank, brand new equipment's. The only thing i can remember i did was using a metal wrench to unscrew one of the tight links on my tank, and the metal part touched the water.

As far as my RODI sample, they didn't find unwanted elements in my tank however they found some other stuff. The water sample i sent at first i did a mistake i filled my tank's water, but then i rinsed it 1000+ times before filling my RODI, I don't know if those element they caught are from the salt tank as the salinity at the end shows not 0?

1-Tank icp test https://www.triton-lab.de/en/showroom/icp-oes/187309

2-RODI https://www.triton-lab.de/en/showroom/icp-oes/187555

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t see the results. Can you list the values for each element.

LgTas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What livestock do you have. Are you seeing signs of an issue with them?

Presence of fluoride in your RODI reading makes me think its not functioning 100%

endlessrealm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Presence of fluoride in your RODI reading makes me think its not functioning 100%
But the thing is. It shows also salinity. I did a mistake where i took a sample of tanks water and then i rinsed it out 1000 times and added rodi makes me thing if thats tje case?

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But the thing is. It shows also salinity. I did a mistake where i took a sample of tanks water and then i rinsed it out 1000 times and added rodi makes me thing if thats tje case?

I assume the salinity number is calculated form the Sodium, mag and potassium that was in your sample. I would also assume this was from contaminant from first filling with tank water.

Disregard I thought I was responding to the OP.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• Infinia 190.5 - August 30, 2023 (B-oW5n9p).pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 44
  • Charbel - August 30, 2023 (B-KVB1w2).pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 30
OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t see the results. Can you list the values for each element.
Do u know if i can add my fish today or not? 2 clowns and they are getting delivered today
I assume the salinity number is calculated form the Sodium, mag and potassium that was in your sample. I would also assume this was from contaminant from first filling with tank water.

Disregard I thought I was responding to the OP.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do u know if i can add my fish today or not? 2 clowns and they are getting delivered today
disregard icp test/testing for new tank/new reefers! use rodi water if possible mix a good salt up to salinity and call it done. how long have you had it set up now? I'm sure it's fine for a couple of clowns, just don't put any more fish in for a few weeks and see how it goes.

are you using live rock?

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
disregard icp test/testing for new tank/new reefers! use rodi water if possible mix a good salt up to salinity and call it done. how long have you had it set up now? I'm sure it's fine for a couple of clowns, just don't put any more fish in for a few weeks and see how it goes.

are you using live rock?
Im using caribsea rock in display glued by a bucket of mortar from brs. And i recently bought live rock from tampa bay. 16 pounds for my refugim area. And my tank its like 3-4 weeks old now

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im using caribsea rock in display glued by a bucket of mortar from brs. And i recently bought live rock from tampa bay. 16 pounds for my refugim area. And my tank its like 3-4 weeks old now
yeah you should be fine to put the clowns in, just don't add a bunch of other fish to soon

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I sent 2 ICP tests, One for my RODI, and one for my new 200G. and the results wasn't what I expected.

I have HIGH ten, High aluminum, and IRON. It's brand new tank, brand new equipment's. The only thing i can remember i did was using a metal wrench to unscrew one of the tight links on my tank, and the metal part touched the water.

As far as my RODI sample, they didn't find unwanted elements in my tank however they found some other stuff. The water sample i sent at first i did a mistake i filled my tank's water, but then i rinsed it 1000+ times before filling my RODI, I don't know if those element they caught are from the salt tank as the salinity at the end shows not 0?

1-Tank icp test https://www.triton-lab.de/en/showroom/icp-oes/187309

2-RODI https://www.triton-lab.de/en/showroom/icp-oes/187555
The results actually looked good. The phosphate is low but will build with addition of livestock and feeding. Doing this test now is premature and I recommend every 6 months while doing normal maintenance. Some of the lower values you can address once you have coral in the tank and as for metals- often typical.

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The results actually looked good. The phosphate is low but will build with addition of livestock and feeding. Doing this test now is premature and I recommend every 6 months while doing normal maintenance. Some of the lower values you can address once you have coral in the tank and as for metals- often typical.
Yes understandable but like 9 tin? Is kinda crazy and also 122 aluminun bro what

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yes understandable but like 9 tin? Is kinda crazy and also 122 aluminun bro what
Some say its a default but if you do a water analysis from your city, you will see metals show up. Most are parts per billion and are Minute.
Triton does have this but use it cautiously:

1693404162388.png

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if this is the source of your tin, but I have seen several people reporting on the forum that they had elevated tin from tubing.
Tin can also leach from some plastics.

If trying to keep some really delicate corals I might worry about some of your elevated levels, but for just adding a few clownfish it wouldn’t worry me.

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if this is the source of your tin, but I have seen several people reporting on the forum that they had elevated tin from tubing.
Tin can also leach from some plastics.

If trying to keep some really delicate corals I might worry about some of your elevated levels, but for just adding a few clownfish it wouldn’t worry me.
I use pyhton tubing. And the tubing i got from waterbox for the return pump.

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some say its a default but if you do a water analysis from your city, you will see metals show up. Most are parts per billion and are Minute.

1693404162388.png
Im going to use two littke fishies metsl absorber

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going to use two littke fishies metsl absorber
without a second test you don't know that's not just a test error. I wouldn't trust icp like it's bullet proof.. I've done 2 test with the same tank and had wild differences in minor metals, these can happen on their side of testing along with how the sample was collected and results could be completely inaccurate, now if you have 5 test for 5 months with a trending results I'd say it's safe to say they could be a little more accurate, but just one test in a NEW tank, I wouldn't do a bunch of stuff to fix a "problem" your not sure you have yet .. all these things to fix something have other effects besides just the one...imo tho

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
without a second test you don't know that's not just a test error. I wouldn't trust icp like it's bullet proof.. I've done 2 test with the same tank and had wild differences in minor metals, these can happen on their side of testing along with how the sample was collected and results could be completely inaccurate, now if you have 5 test for 5 months with a trending results I'd say it's safe to say they could be a little more accurate, but just one test in a NEW tank, I wouldn't do a bunch of stuff to fix a "problem" your not sure you have yet .. all these things to fix something have other effects besides just the one...imo tho
Would titanium heaters by helios leash aluminum?

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1693404162388.png
Would to titanum heaters leash aluminum? I have the helios one

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back