Did KZ crash my 650 Gallon SPS reef?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm testing .07 to .09 on a hanna checker. Which is up from the last time I tested copper on my display tank about a year ago at .02.

I have no idea if that accounts for anything but I figured I'd let you know.
I have no coral deaths. Everyone is happy.

The Hanna checker has been shown to be incorrect at those low levels, with icp tests detecting no copper.

OP
OP
D

dansCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you send ICP samples of the KZ products?
Here is the ICP with Flatworm Stop + Coral Boost. There are a number of elements that are clearly in the combination of the two because the levels way high given the dose I put in the sample. I will now run ICPs separately to see which one had the copper.

Christoph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the ICP with Flatworm Stop + Coral Boost. There are a number of elements that are clearly in the combination of the two because the levels way high given the dose I put in the sample. I will now run ICPs separately to see which one had the copper.

As a general remark:

Dont send anything besides seawater (or freshwater samples) to ICP vendors!

Receiving samples of highly unexpected composition might cause analysis sequences to fail, so that costly remeasurement of several samples would be required. Worst case such samples might even cause damage to instruments (like columns, nebulizers, etc) and can furthermore pose a contaminantion issue!

If you have special questions you would like to get answered by chemical analysis, there are likely options to do so. However this requires special protocols in many instances - so always get in touch with your laboratory of choice beforehand and ask for guidance and a quotation, so that your specific questions can be answered.

Best regards, Christoph

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 88 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back