Bad idea?

Eric_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of building a 50 g cube tank and was curious of your thoughts.
I was planning to purchase a wave maker in a month or so but thought, why not buy a high end adjustable return pump and not hassle with any powerheads? Like Ecotechs Vectra M1. More than enough power and should provide enough water movement when needed. I would turn it down to low most of the time.

Is this a good idea? Or will I still need a power head?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of building a 50 g cube tank and was curious of your thoughts.
I was planning to purchase a wave maker in a month or so but thought, why not buy a high end adjustable return pump and not hassle with any powerheads? Like Ecotechs Vectra M1. More than enough power and should provide enough water movement when needed. I would turn it down to low most of the time.

Is this a good idea? Or will I still need a power head?
It is a pretty bad idea but it is also very close to a good idea.

The issue I think you will find is that if you get enough flow through your tank to keep your fish and coral happy, you will have a crazy amount of sump noise and splashing.

Most people who go this route would use two separate pumps. Get a smaller AC pump for your return. Then create what is referred to as a closed loop system using something like a Vectra. This is really the application that DC pumps excel in.

OP
OP
E

Eric_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, good to know. Noise is exactly what I do not want. I also want to keep things relatively affordable while minimizing stuff in the display tank.

So I should keep the return pump and put a power head in the display to create more water movement.

OP
OP
E

Eric_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I was looking at the MP10WQD but dang they are expensive. I like how the motor is outside the tank.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I was looking at the MP10WQD but dang they are expensive. I like how the motor is outside the tank.
They are definitely proud of those MP10's! I have a pair of MP40's and really like them but they don't "reach" into a tank to far. More localize flow.

I agree with @Best Fish-Jake and I would just get 2 smaller, cheaper powerheads for now until you see how your system responds.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 32 20.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 114 74.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back