Bad Mix or Bad Process? Alk

c0mf0rt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been struggling with dosing for Alk lately and I tested my mix this morning. It's less than 5. Is there anything I could be doing wrong with my process or is this simply a bad batch. I do use a powerhead and that sucker is moving. I let it get up to temp before I tested but I don't have a heater in it when I'm doing so. Usually the temp is around the mid 60s when I do mix, straight out of the RO/DI. Everything else tests fine, including Calcium.

I should mention, I'm using Red RPM salt. I believe it's supposed to be a high alk mix.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So I've been struggling with dosing for Alk lately and I tested my mix this morning. It's less than 5. Is there anything I could be doing wrong with my process or is this simply a bad batch. I do use a powerhead and that sucker is moving. I let it get up to temp before I tested but I don't have a heater in it when I'm doing so. Usually the temp is around the mid 60s when I do mix, straight out of the RO/DI. Everything else tests fine, including Calcium.

I should mention, I'm using Red RPM salt. I believe it's supposed to be a high alk mix.
Assure your results are accurate before adding any. Generally coral absorb alk.
Get a second test from a trusted LFS

OP
OP
C

c0mf0rt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll get that done but my tank regularly measures between 6.5 to 9 depending on dosing directly to the tank with the same test kit.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the red RPM salt is advertised at 10-12 dkh. I would confirm you are at the correct salinity after mixing. You mentioned Ca was good so may not be that. Have you tried mixing the salt bag? Maybe it’s settled and not mixing to the correct parameters. Or could be a bad batch.. easy to up the alk with some baking soda if everything else checks out.
How long are you waiting after mixing before testing?

OP
OP
C

c0mf0rt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Conclusion. I'm an idiot. I got a Hannah in and in a minute I'll tell you the results. I looked back at my Red Sea kit and realized that you can do a 10ml test and count the drops one way, or a 5ml and counts the drops another. I had been doing 5ml of water and counting the 10 ml way. So with the Hannah, my mix is coming in a 9.7. My tank however after all of my super dosing is coming in at 16.0! Ironically, my corals have NEVER looked happier. Guess I don't have to dose again for a while.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back