Bad Pinpoint Salinity Calibration Fluid

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone gotten a bad bottle of Pinpoint brand salinity calibration fluid?

I had calibrated my pinpoint probe using this stuff awhile back. I recently tested water from two different online vendors, both read very low according to my probe. The bottle had been completely new, unopened, and full.

So I found a bottle of another brand calibration fluid. It turns out this one is reading way lower, just like the water from the vendors I had ordered from. My salinity wasn't terribly high but I was surprised that the fluid was so inaccurate.

Has anyone else had a similar problem?

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't personally, but I did read about it happening a few years ago on another forum.

CJ

dknuckles

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The calib sol. Does go bad! I have experienced this myself.
It should be labeled w/ a date should be tossed if older that 2yrs from Manu date or if @ expiration date.

OP
OP
-Logzor

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked Jeremy at PA to test a few bottles for me, I wonder how old the stuff was. I've been struggling with salinity issues for the past year now. First it was issues with my refractometer, I upgraded to a Pinpoint probe only to get a bad calibration fluid with it. I'm glad I had the second bottle, which was Sybon brand, which appears to be the accurate one, as the readings concur with the measurements from two separate vendors.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have two that are different. I think even sealed bottles have some evaporation and one of mine was old. My old one read much higher than my new one.

myzislow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pinpoint stuff always went to crap one me very quickly. I don't think the cap seals very well.

I've been using the aquacraft stuff with much better and consistent results. Much more user friendly bottle and applicator as well.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back