bad salt?

nazzman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed sharp decline in color and bleeching in my sps corals and lps corals losing color all my parameters have been evan and steady opened new bucket coral pro salt and feel thats when things went south I bought all new test kits was drivning me nuts new salt and couple of water changes and things starting to look better how many of you had same issue?

Frick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not bad salt, but it must be used with in a few hours after mixing. I have seen a few people with this issue but turns out that they mixed it for too long and the minerals started to precipitate and collect on the bucket walls and pump. So they were basically adding a salt mix with depleted trace elements causing a swing in all the parameters to the low end. This can happen with any salt but seems to be the most noticeable with the RS Coral Pro. It's still great salt tho.

ontop27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never heard this before?? Almost everyone I've ever talked to let's new mixed water sit over night myself included. And have had much better results since I started doing that three years ago.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you stir the bucket before using? Salt mix can experience some settling/separation; this will cause wacky params.

ontop27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not bad salt, but it must be used with in a few hours after mixing. I have seen a few people with this issue but turns out that they mixed it for too long and the minerals started to precipitate and collect on the bucket walls and pump. So they were basically adding a salt mix with depleted trace elements causing a swing in all the parameters to the low end. This can happen with any salt but seems to be the most noticeable with the RS Coral Pro. It's still great salt tho.

And another thought.. Why wouldn't it do the same thing in an acrylic tank

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
nazzman

nazzman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a small pump in container to mix let sit overnight have a little build up on container but norm for me and never an issue in the past using red sea 2years now

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 8.5%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 133 66.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.0%
Back