Bad skimmer choice?

Cmp1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 50 gallon DT and the trigger system platinum 34 sump. I bought this skimmer on black friday but after some more research it looks like my tank could be too "clean" which could cause some issues. Should I get a new smaller one. May keep this since I got a decent price for a possible future build

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are having trouble tuning, maybe put a needle valve in the air line and turn it down.
I had to do this with my vertex 150 on a 75 g.

Cramsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stated above, just tune it down. Are you having and issues with it? It can take up to 2 weeks for a new skimmer to process out all of the factory residue. Is this a new tank?

OP
OP
C

Cmp1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stated above, just tune it down. Are you having and issues with it? It can take up to 2 weeks for a new skimmer to process out all of the factory residue. Is this a new tank?
I haven't used it yet. I figured I'd try and get feed back and return it if it would be an issue

Cramsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't used it yet. I figured I'd try and get feed back and return it if it would be an issue
Is your tank new or established? If your tank is new then you should think about the future and where you’re going instead of where you are... because you can definitely grow into this skimmer.

OP
OP
C

Cmp1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your tank new or established? If your tank is new then you should think about the future and where you’re going instead of where you are... because you can definitely grow into this skimmer.
Brand new. Still setting it up. Just got waternin it

Cramsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha, if it were me... I’d either sell it or buy a bigger tank. I’d probably go to petco and buy a 75 on their $1 per gallon sale. You could always sell it on here or trade it. That skimmer is a bit big for your tank IMO

stanlalee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are misunderstanding the concept of too large a skimmer. Your tank won't be cleaner because a grossly oversize skimmer won't skim well. A 5" skimmer MIGHT (might not) be a better match for a 50g display but you want a skimmer with the ability to skim as well as possible. I don' think yours is too big if you have a good bioload and feeding. The ratings are useless. I've had 4,5 & 6" skimmers on my 30g/10 sump. ALL of them functioned just fine. If you're getting good skimate production it's not too big. When you get little to nothing it's too big. What are your indicators that your running too clean? That's an easy problem to fix. Feed more add more [appropriate] livestock and feed that. Without carbon dosing or frequent large water changes I find it almost impossible for a skimmer alone to make a reef tank too clean.

OP
OP
C

Cmp1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha, if it were me... I’d either sell it or buy a bigger tank. I’d probably go to petco and buy a 75 on their $1 per gallon sale. You could always sell it on here or trade it. That skimmer is a bit big for your tank IMO
I talked to brs and they would accept a return

OP
OP
C

Cmp1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are misunderstanding the concept of too large a skimmer. Your tank won't be cleaner because a grossly oversize skimmer won't skim well. A 5" skimmer MIGHT (might not) be a better match for a 50g display but you want a skimmer with the ability to skim as well as possible. I don' think yours is too big if you have a good bioload and feeding. The ratings are useless. I've had 4,5 & 6" skimmers on my 30g/10 sump. ALL of them functioned just fine. If you're getting good skimate production it's not too big. When you get little to nothing it's too big. What are your indicators that your running too clean? That's an easy problem to fix. Feed more add more [appropriate] livestock and feed that. Without carbon dosing or frequent large water changes I find it almost impossible for a skimmer alone to make a reef tank too clean.
I'm still in the middle of setting it up. I'm worried that with the automatic filter roller and a larger skimmer would be too "efficient

Cramsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still in the middle of setting it up. I'm worried that with the automatic filter roller and a larger skimmer would be too "efficient
I agree with you. The rollers do a pretty good job of cleaning a good portion of the waste before it breaks down.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 61 38.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back