IM Protein Skimmer pump loud!!

Semper.Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I bought the IM skimmer for my 50 Nuvo after reading a few reviews. Is it supposed to be this loud? I’ve never really ran a protein skimmer before.. thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1744.mov
    15.1 MB

GT3000XX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately yes they are loud. I had some success taking the pump out and reinstalling it. I contacted IM and they heard a recording of it and said it was normal Venturi noise. I have owned many Venturi skimmers and never had one as loud as IM’s

OP
OP
Semper.Reefing

Semper.Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Unfortunately yes they are loud. I had some success taking the pump out and reinstalling it. I contacted IM and they heard a recording of it and said it was normal Venturi noise. I have owned many Venturi skimmers and never had one as loud as IM’s
Not to mention it causes a waterfall in the back chamber since it flows over the second baffle.

That’s a bummer. The rubber feet had me thinking it would be quiet. Imagine without them… I suppose I’ll just run it at night. I really wanted it to help maintain a higher ph with the scrubber attached.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s the air being sucked into the Venturi through a tube, if you can run that outside then noise is gone and you’ll get better gas exchange, so little higher PH.

Most don’t run completely silent, airs still being drawn in.

OP
OP
Semper.Reefing

Semper.Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If it’s the air being sucked into the Venturi through a tube, if you can run that outside then noise is gone and you’ll get better gas exchange, so little higher PH.

Most don’t run completely silent, airs still being drawn in.
It’s really the vibration of the pump. It’s impossible to suction it to the bottom. I have my intake connected to a cO2 scrubber.

GT3000XX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is definitely the pump rattling. After cleaning it sometimes it would go away for a while but then eventually would return. I did the same, ran it late night when I wasn't in the room. I am sure IM has had plenty of complaints but seem to have no interest in correcting the issue!

vanguard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a dead thread but I thought I'd add to the knowledgebase. I have this skimmer and sometimes it is really loud.

I haven't gotten to the bottom of why it gets loud sometimes but I just grab the sides and pull it up and down like a plunger for a bit. After a try or to it gets silent.

Hopefully that helps somebody.

OP
OP
Semper.Reefing

Semper.Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This is a dead thread but I thought I'd add to the knowledgebase. I have this skimmer and sometimes it is really loud.

I haven't gotten to the bottom of why it gets loud sometimes but I just grab the sides and pull it up and down like a plunger for a bit. After a try or to it gets silent.

Hopefully that helps somebody.
I will give this a shot! Currently have filter floss stuffed around it. Thank you

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 107 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.6%
Back