Baffled where this came from. Any ideas what it might be?

SaltyTwigs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any ideas what this might be? Don't see it anywhere else in the tank and have had this live rock for over 6 years. Seems to fluoresce under blues which is what drew my eye to it. Very small maybe half the size of a pea or less.

What is this.png

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Baby from this ?
Self propagation but idk just throwing guess out ^_^

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210713-164344_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210713-164344_Chrome.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 25
OP
OP
SaltyTwigs

SaltyTwigs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Baby from this ?
Self propagation but idk just throwing guess out ^_^
That is the edge of a jack-o-lantern leptoseris. I will try to get photo under white light. When I first saw it was mainly concerned it was a majano anemone... however did not look like the photos I have seen of them.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ok take what i say with a pinch of salt ( pun intended ha ha ) im new to saltwater so no real life experience with many things, only reading/research which ovbiously much different.
But looking these pictures,it sort of has some the characteristics your saying and what i can see and your saying its half the size of a pea so very small indeed,and you saying fluoresce under blue lights which isn't unusual as probably reason why alot started reef tanks maybe ^_^ but in that link above,one guy saying is bright green ( fluorescent)
Imo as being a pest they do look kind of cool and neat and apparently re-produce slowly than aptasia for example and i have read alot of people actually keep them as say look beautiful but lets see what someone with more reefing history has to say @Mibu @vetteguy ( sorry out house and not showing vette guy full name as Internet slow lol)

Screenshot_20210713-185846_Google.jpg Screenshot_20210713-185900_Google.jpg

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Without a picture under white light, i have no idea if it's part of a self propagation or a pest anemone.
I wasn't going to reply until a white light picture was posted.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without a picture under white light, i have no idea if it's part of a self propagation or a pest anemone.
I wasn't going to reply until a white light picture was posted.
Ok fair enough sorry to bother you,but you right,looking at things under blue lights sometimes even impossible to see what coral even is ha ha ^_^hopefully op posts under white lights

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok fair enough sorry to bother you,but you right,looking at things under blue lights sometimes even impossible to see what coral even is ha ha ^_^hopefully op posts under white lights
No bother. I'm trying to find information on Black band disease. :( I happen to be curious about a lot of things.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No bother. I'm trying to find information on Black band disease. :( I happen to be curious about a lot of things.
Yeah curiousity is all im doing just lately,these last 6 months intense reading/research of average maybe 3- 4 hours a day reading articles and threads on here on varied mixture of things reef related ,even on some things or corals that i dont even like and no intention of buying ha ha.
But thinking as much info i can get about possible problems that tanks/fish/corals have then if i have similar problem starting then i will be able to spot it sooner and start to treat/cure or whatever sooner and hopefully dont go to far thinking every pittle spot or lack of movememt/ pe = dying as maybe just little upset and just chilling and best action = leave it alone but the old saying ( knowledge is power) but so far so good,im only early on in at nearly 6 months and coral only last 1 month so taking it relatively slow and plan on adding 1 coral every 1 week and slowly stock the tank plus been out work for maybe 5 years now ( bought tank just before had to stop working due to health problems so tank sat empty for 5 years) so not got the money like i used to have so couldnt go just stock tank with 50 corals all at once anyway lol.but nothing died yet of cuc or corals and got 8 out of the 10 fish that will have so must be doing something right as mrs inlaws got reef tank plus one other person she knows and most things they put in their tanks dies pretty soon after introduction but whatever reason my livestock not dying,whether its just because early days etc,it definately cant be because i rushed things as owning tank and 90% equipment needed to start tank up but choose not to as physically couldn't do it and didnt want ask mrs as she likes it but its my thing so tank sat empty for 5 years lol.anyway im rabbiting on yet again so will go into quiet mode before contunue to bore everyone to death ^_^

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW i've had Zoa's and Cloves suddenly pop out of a rock when the main colony is on the other side of the tank.....

Almost looks like a Zoa, or possibly pest nem. Again like everyone else has said, It's kind of like looking at one of those photos of something blurred in the sky, and everyone goes, it's a UFO! or a Plane! or DUDE IT'S JUST A FREAKING BIRD. :p

We need something a little clearer to really ID :).

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Its a gracilis anemone. . . similar habits as majano but not the type that spreads like wild fire. They come in nice colors

Back