baked baking soda

Reesj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the baking soda and want to create baked baking soda so it can slightly raise my PH and for better efficency. Unfortunetly I don't have an oven. I can either use a tray on gass cooker or put it in microwave oven. I don't think the microwave is a good idea.
So can I spread the baking soda on a tray, place it in gass cooker and bake it for the saem effect?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the baking soda and want to create baked baking soda so it can slightly raise my PH and for better efficency. Unfortunetly I don't have an oven. I can either use a tray on gass cooker or put it in microwave oven. I don't think the microwave is a good idea.
So can I spread the baking soda on a tray, place it in gass cooker and bake it for the saem effect?

I'm not sure what a gass cooker is. Can you post a picture?

Dkeller_nc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the largest issue you might have is that ideally, you want to use a glass baking dish to bake sodium bicarbonate into sodium carbonate. That might not be advisable on a gas stove-top burner. It might be better to simply purchase sodium carbonate (called "washing soda" in the US).

OP
OP
Reesj

Reesj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hitachi-Gas-cooker-3-Burner.png

Problem is, so far i have not seen any washing soda here to purchase stright.

Dkeller_nc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. We're not sure where "here" is, but I'd be surprised if you can't at least order sodium carbonate, as it's an incredibly common industrial and household chemical.

As noted, the biggest potential issue you might have is uneven heating of a pile of sodium bicarbonate in a container on a gas burner. That might not be an issue if you use a covered container, as it will ensure that the very top of the pile gets hot enough to drive off the water from the baking soda.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back