Balancing nitrate and phosphate export

Willbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all

I run GFO and a refugium for nutrient export. My skimmer pretty much failed for 1 week while I was away so my nitrate and phosphate increased above where I usually try keep them at (around 5 no3 and 0.03 po4). To bring them both down again I increased my refugium light duration and did water changes each day. Now my phosphate level is back down to the normal 0.03 but my nitrate is at 0. Id like to keep my nitrate at about 1 to 3ppm.

So this leads me to wonder...are refugiums more efficient at removing nitrate over phosphate? .

I could either reduce my fuge light duration and run more gfo. Or run a higher fuge light duration and dose nitrate.

How do you guys and girls balance your no3 and po4 export?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always thought that macro used them up at a certain ratio and different types of macro have different ratios, but I may be completely wrong. I don't have any filtration dedicated to removing either phosphate or nitrate, but I have to dose nitrate to keep it at a detectable level.

Maximitsurugi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all

I run GFO and a refugium for nutrient export. My skimmer pretty much failed for 1 week while I was away so my nitrate and phosphate increased above where I usually try keep them at (around 5 no3 and 0.03 po4). To bring them both down again I increased my refugium light duration and did water changes each day. Now my phosphate level is back down to the normal 0.03 but my nitrate is at 0. Id like to keep my nitrate at about 1 to 3ppm.

So this leads me to wonder...are refugiums more efficient at removing nitrate over phosphate? .

I could either reduce my fuge light duration and run more gfo. Or run a higher fuge light duration and dose nitrate.

How do you guys and girls balance your no3 and po4 export?
You dose nitrate to balance it back. When the ratios are right again then you manage your export methods. I soaked all my rock in Lanthanum before I cycled and even a year later, my tank sucks po4 down to 0 on a Hanna ULR phosphorus checker. So, I dose.

NB. If you dose Nitrate, your phosphate will most likely fall some.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 14 32.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.3%
Back