Bali green slimer losing half of it’s color

starfishguy869

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I just picked up a Bali green slimer, and from the day of acclimation to now, half of it is brown, with minimal polyp extension. However, all other corals are doing fine. Does anyone know what could be the cause of this?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello, I just picked up a Bali green slimer, and from the day of acclimation to now, half of it is brown, with minimal polyp extension. However, all other corals are doing fine. Does anyone know what could be the cause of this?
It may have to do with acclimation or location but will need pics under white light intensity to best assess the issue

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not uncommon for acros to brown out when introduced to a new environment. May take days, Weeks or even months to color up if conditions are good.

OP
OP
S

starfishguy869

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same coral, both sides.
IMG_6578.jpeg
IMG_6577.jpeg

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was it like this from the beginning?
Because it looks typical for a new frag that was cut of a branch that originally grew sideways.

The “bottom” side didn’t have much light, and thus have browned out and had low polyp extensions.

If it browned out in your tank - make sure it gets even lighting on both sides, slight angle can go a long way influencing light reachability.

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was a WYSIWYG than is likely they took the pic when the frag was either new or in a different location that where it was right before you purchased it.
It happens to me all the time when I put frags too close to the glass on a rack, where it doesn’t get much light on the other side.

Or it could also been photoshopped, but the first possibility is more likely what happened.

It’s not a big deal though, give it enough light and it’ll color up in a few weeks or so.

ptrusk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It appears that the one side was/is shaded in previous home or now. If anything, try to "level" it so both sides are receiving light. Not always possible and it will grow toward the light. It will be fine as is.

ETA, that looks pretty freshly cut but very healthy. Once it ecrusts the plug, it will shoot up more branches from there. You really can't kill these.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 134 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back