Ball attached to clownfish

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, my clownfish seems to have this ball attached to it, it is the one circled in the picture

Thanks
Screenshot_20240110-191053_Gallery.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi all, my clownfish seems to have this ball attached to it, it is the one circled in the picture

Thanks
This may be as simple as sand or fin ray issue. I would not be too concerned unless it inflates which will likely not happen. Simply keep an eye on it and with Good water quality will subside. If sand- will fall off at any given time

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be as simple as sand or fin ray issue. I would not be too concerned unless it inflates which will likely not happen. Simply keep an eye on it and with Good water quality will subside. If sand- will fall off at any given time
Right ok that's a relief.
There is 0 chance that this is ich right? Dont want to deal with that stuff anymore

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's an amazing picture. The fluid filled sac doesn't present like ich, looks more like a blister. Did it sleep next to the heater?

Not ich, but what??? Probably will heal and disappear.

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's an amazing picture. The fluid filled sac doesn't present like ich, looks more like a blister. Did it sleep next to the heater?

Not ich, but what??? Probably will heal and disappear.
Thanks

As long as it's not some sort of parasite that requires treatment and a fallow period then its all good!

It recently paired up with a new male clown, so maybe it slept in another area, who knows

Thanks for the reply

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Right ok that's a relief.
There is 0 chance that this is ich right? Dont want to deal with that stuff anymore
Ich moves every 24 hours and it is not in alignment with typical ich cell

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks

As long as it's not some sort of parasite that requires treatment and a fallow period then its all good!

It recently paired up with a new male clown, so maybe it slept in another area, who knows

Thanks for the reply
That could be the source of the injury and swelling. These clownfish are rigorous in their mating and paring fights.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks

That is what is called a "fluid filled vesicle". I've not seen it in fish that I've had myself, but I've been sent a few pictures of this - very often there are many of them. I don't know the cause, it isn't a parasite though. It could be from some virus, or less likely, a bacterial issue.

Jay

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is what is called a "fluid filled vesicle". I've not seen it in fish that I've had myself, but I've been sent a few pictures of this - very often there are many of them. I don't know the cause, it isn't a parasite though. It could be from some virus, or less likely, a bacterial issue.

Jay
Oh ok good to hear, would this require treatment of any kind or is it just one of those that go on their own?

Thanks

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ok good to hear, would this require treatment of any kind or is it just one of those that go on their own?

Thanks

Well, there is no treatment because the cause is unknown. I have seen this be fatal though if the vesicles grow in number.
Jay

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, there is no treatment because the cause is unknown. I have seen this be fatal though if the vesicles grow in number.
Jay
Right interesting.
I'll just keep water parameters stable and see what happens.

Is there any sort of anti-biotic I could purchase to have on standby? (assuming that this is bacterial)
And if so, ones that are reef safe

Also, could this be lympho?

Thanks

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Right interesting.
I'll just keep water parameters stable and see what happens.

Is there any sort of anti-biotic I could purchase to have on standby? (assuming that this is bacterial)
And if so, ones that are reef safe

Thanks
If ant, would be Seachem Kanaplex or Ruby Rally Pro

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi sorry for so many replies

A little bit off topic but still similar, my other clownfish (not the one with the vesicle on it) showed weird spots on it, first thing that came to my mind was ich but I am hoping not.

Spots have now dissapeared as far as I know and these pictures were taken a few days ago. The spots were only fully vissible from certain angles, which is why I am hopeful that it isn't ich

Screenshot_20240111-214607_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240111-214626_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20240111-214621_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20240111-214613_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20240111-214632_Gallery.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi sorry for so many replies

A little bit off topic but still similar, my other clownfish (not the one with the vesicle on it) showed weird spots on it, first thing that came to my mind was ich but I am hoping not.

Spots have now dissapeared as far as I know and these pictures were taken a few days ago. The spots were only fully vissible from certain angles, which is why I am hopeful that it isn't ich

Screenshot_20240111-214607_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240111-214626_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20240111-214621_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20240111-214613_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20240111-214632_Gallery.jpg

Sorry - the pictures aren't clear enough to make a diagnosis. Even with clear pics, diagnosing from a photo is difficult.

What you want to watch for are small, pinhead white spots that come and go and change location on the fish, but that gradually increase in number over time (say a few days). that's how an ich infection starts up....

Jay

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - the pictures aren't clear enough to make a diagnosis. Even with clear pics, diagnosing from a photo is difficult.

What you want to watch for are small, pinhead white spots that come and go and change location on the fish, but that gradually increase in number over time (say a few days). that's how an ich infection starts up....

Jay
Understandable

I seem to be always examining the fish to no avail trying to track each induvidual ich-like spot. Do you think I should just leave it/not pay attention for let's say 2 weeks and just see what is on the fish? 2 weeks should be enough time for any ich to increase in number/spread onto other fish right?

Thanks

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understandable

I seem to be always examining the fish to no avail trying to track each induvidual ich-like spot. Do you think I should just leave it/not pay attention for let's say 2 weeks and just see what is on the fish? 2 weeks should be enough time for any ich to increase in number/spread onto other fish right?

Thanks
No - you should observe your fish carefully each day, 2 weeks is too long, ich could be fatal in that time frame. You just need to ignore single spots and marks, but watch them in case the numbers start to increase.
Jay

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No - you should observe your fish carefully each day, 2 weeks is too long, ich could be fatal in that time frame. You just need to ignore single spots and marks, but watch them in case the numbers start to increase.
Jay
Ok thanks Jay, that'll save me from sticking a camera in their faces every day

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks
Update: It is still attached to the clownfish, but hasn't mutliplied or spread, fish still acting normally. Does this behavour indicate anything that could help with diagnosis?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: It is still attached to the clownfish, but hasn't mutliplied or spread, fish still acting normally. Does this behavour indicate anything that could help with diagnosis?
Can you try for new, clearer pics?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Please provide also a video and both under white lighting helpful and assure glass and lens are clean for best images

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 153 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.3%
Back