Bam Bam Zoa's turning brown

Animal Chin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought some bam bam zoas a year ago. the rock had about 30 bright orange coral on it. They started spreading fast but the zoa's that grown in are mostly chocolate brown with orange centers instead of mainly orange. I think a few of the bright orange zoas has become this way too, is it normal? Is there anyway to get the all orange back?

Its a 55 gallon mixed reef with 4 T5bulbs. All perameters are perfect with a little nitrate.

OP
OP
A

Animal Chin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is a picture, not great quality (phone) but you get the gist.

Attachments

• photo (2).jpg
    photo (2).jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 255

rjbesch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
try moving them up just a tad higher in the tank to see if that will brighten them up. I had my colony about midways up in my tank in my 75 when I only had 4 t5s over it, then when i upgraded to a 6 bulb t5 fixture i moved them back down to the sandbed and they are bright as ever. Also what color combination of bulbs are you using? I don't know that it would but it might make a difference. When I had my 4 bulb fixture, I ran one aquablue special, 2 blue + and one other one more on the blueish side, can't remember which one it was and all the zoas I had stayed bright and grew fast

Tenor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
try moving them up just a tad higher in the tank to see if that will brighten them up. I had my colony about midways up in my tank in my 75 when I only had 4 t5s over it, then when i upgraded to a 6 bulb t5 fixture i moved them back down to the sandbed and they are bright as ever. Also what color combination of bulbs are you using? I don't know that it would but it might make a difference. When I had my 4 bulb fixture, I ran one aquablue special, 2 blue + and one other one more on the blueish side, can't remember which one it was and all the zoas I had stayed bright and grew fast

+1 raise it abit higher

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back