Bamboo shark red dots

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think adding a bit of fine sand over top of my sand is a good idea?
And ah dang! I didn’t notice that until you just said that! Looks like it’s a dude!

The tricky part with adding a finer sand is that it might separate from the larger stuff and accumulate in corners or other low-flow areas. So adding sand might not do much unless you remove the larger stuff first.

You mentioned in another post that the redness has faded a bit today? If that's the case, I would probably wait and see. It could be that the sand is only irritating if the shark is doing some serious digging. It may not be much of an issue going forward if there's no serious excavating going on.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yesterday it was VERY noticeable and from my experience with owning a ray I know that red is no good. Today it seems to have faded so I’ll definitely keep an eye on it! And I’ll for sure get a better testing kit ASAP. Also what is my best choice of food to keep her on a healthy diet?
keep in mind, sharks are carnivorous creatures that eat a lot of food and produce a lot of waste. Its important to have an effective filtration system to keep their water clean. Some good foods are uncooked shrimp, scallops, mussels, and pieces of fresh marine fish, squid or octopus. Cut any large food pieces into bite-sized pieces and Do not feed your shark common feeder fish such as goldfish or guppies which can have disease and are not natural foods either.

OP
OP
S

Spookyclemente

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tricky part with adding a finer sand is that it might separate from the larger stuff and accumulate in corners or other low-flow areas. So adding sand might not do much unless you remove the larger stuff first.

You mentioned in another post that the redness has faded a bit today? If that's the case, I would probably wait and see. It could be that the sand is only irritating if the shark is doing some serious digging. It may not be much of an issue going forward if there's no serious excavating going on.
I could possibly possibly remove some sand and add finer sand in if his stomach becomes a little more red, but he cleared most of the sand out under there and every once in a while takes a stroll around the tank. It cracks me up when they walk!

OP
OP
S

Spookyclemente

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
keep in mind, sharks are carnivorous creatures that eat a lot of food and produce a lot of waste. It’s important to have an effective filtration system to keep their water clean. Some good foods are uncooked shrimp, scallops, mussels, and pieces of fresh marine fish, squid or octopus. Cut any large food pieces into bite-sized pieces and Do not feed your shark common feeder fish such as goldfish or guppies which can have disease and are not natural foods either.
OK awesome I have all of those so I’ll give each a shot and see which he likes more. He’s pretty timid and just kind of chills under the rocks so life feeding never came to mind.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your sand is fine. I have coarser sand than that, although not much coarser and my 20 in bamboo is living it up. Probably irritation, in any case this isnt uncommon and will remedy itself. A broad range of foods is paramount for these sharks. I go to the local asian market once a month and pick up frozen whole squid and baby octopus to cut up and feed mine. The only silversides you are safe to feed long term is sanfransico bay silversides, these are the only ones tested to not contain high levels of thiamin in them. Raw shrimp from the grocery store is also great. I buy fresh scallops when they go on sale as well. Ive never fed mine live food with the exception of when it was a baby to get it to eat, and that was ghost shrimp. And I dump in 50 live ghost shrimp on holidays as a treat.

OP
OP
S

Spookyclemente

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your sand is fine. I have coarser sand than that, although not much coarser and my 20 in bamboo is living it up. Probably irritation, in any case this isnt uncommon and will remedy itself. A broad range of foods is paramount for these sharks. I go to the local asian market once a month and pick up frozen whole squid and baby octopus to cut up and feed mine. The only silversides you are safe to feed long term is sanfransico bay silversides, these are the only ones tested to not contain high levels of thiamin in them. Raw shrimp from the grocery store is also great. I buy fresh scallops when they go on sale as well. Ive never fed mine live food with the exception of when it was a baby to get it to eat, and that was ghost shrimp. And I dump in 50 live ghost shrimp on holidays as a treat.
Awesome I have frozen squid and octopus as well. I’ll give that a shot and mine is about 7 to 8 inches and is very healthy from what the owners said. Is that still considered a baby and do I need to switch to go shrimp or should I try everything and if all else fails fall back on go shrimp? Also, what is a good time to feed them at? I know they don’t like the lights, so should I did mine for a little while before feeding?

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome I have frozen squid and octopus as well. I’ll give that a shot and mine is about 7 to 8 inches and is very healthy from what the owners said. Is that still considered a baby and do I need to switch to go shrimp or should I try everything and if all else fails fall back on go shrimp? Also, what is a good time to feed them at? I know they don’t like the lights, so should I did mine for a little while before feeding?
So at 7 to 8 inches it is very much still a baby, as they hatch at around 6 inches. Is yours eating for you at all yet? it is very common for them to be very picky eaters as pups. The most important thing is to get them eating something consistently. When was the last time the little guy ate and what was it?

OP
OP
S

Spookyclemente

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So at 7 to 8 inches it is very much still a baby, as they hatch at around 6 inches. Is yours eating for you at all yet? it is very common for them to be very picky eaters as pups. The most important thing is to get them eating something consistently. When was the last time the little guy ate and what was it?
Hello!! Last night he ate about 3 thumb nail sized pieces of squid! I was shocked because when I had a ray the thing would only eat ghost shrimp lol! I’m gonna try some more food today!
also! He was swimming around the tank when the lights were off and was havin fun it seemed!

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their activity will always increase when its "lights out" as they are nocturnal. I feed mine every other day, but as a pup they should be fed as often as they will eat. They grow fast, and as they get larger it is important to make sure they are well fed, for many reasons but mainly they are a shark and sharks will be sharks when hungry. They are very timid sharks and are not aggressive in any matter of the term. I have mine with many other fish, some of which I wont name, because there are folks here who say you cant have them with sharks. Very good community shark provided you keep it fed and dont have gobies or wrasses lol.

OP
OP
S

Spookyclemente

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their activity will always increase when its "lights out" as they are nocturnal. I feed mine every other day, but as a pup they should be fed as often as they will eat. They grow fast, and as they get larger it is important to make sure they are well fed, for many reasons but mainly they are a shark and sharks will be sharks when hungry. They are very timid sharks and are not aggressive in any matter of the term. I have mine with many other fish, some of which I wont name, because there are folks here who say you cant have them with sharks. Very good community shark provided you keep it fed and dont have gobies or wrasses lol.
I try to feed him everyday and if he eats I feed until he stops! So far he is very relaxed and friendly towards my others. I have a snowflake eel so the feeding is constant lol!

Eric Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I just recently got a bamboo shark. She is about 8 inches long and is in a 2 year old 125 just until I get my larger tank going properly. I have fine sand with 2 canister filter and a octo of the back protein skimmer.
My ammonia is 0 my nitrite is 0 my nitrate is 0 and my PH is 8.2.
I have noticed that the sharks stomach has little red dots on it. Nothing crazy but I wasn’t sure what this meant or if my send isn’t fine enough, I see her digging around under the rocks, making a little caves, and every once in a while comes out and explores her breathing is normal and she is pretty active digging a little systems is the red stomach something bad or does it just happened and will go away over time?
Often a sign of low oxygen levels in the tank.........also it could be a sign of iodine deficiency. Try adding flow to the tank....especially towards the bottom of the tank where the shark lies.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 115 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.1%
Back