Banana Eel questions

Sheehanigans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I have a 210g setup that i upgraded from the 90G that mainly calm fish, i've switched gears and went predator tank with intentions of a few eels (hence the pvc tunnels) couple of groupers, some lion fish, and a puffer or two. I have a 40g breeder sump with oversized protein skimmer.

Current stocking:
White eyed moray eel about 8"-12"
Leopard moray eel (from what i was told) about 8"
Blue line grouper about 4"
Colored Volitan

I really would like to add a banana Eel to the mix while they are all young, i have not seen these in the LFS but online the prices seem to be anywhere from $700-$2000 depending if they are in stock or not. I found one online 7"-12" for $1,100, before i go and purchase this does anyone have any recommendations on if these are good prices or of any LFS that gets these? Heres a few pics of my setup, built the cabinet and canopy all myself.

IMG_4362.jpg 695010336.jpg IMG_4409.jpg IMG_4410.jpg

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a fimbriated eel, also called a yellowhead, and they are very aggressive. I do not recommend lions or puffer with fang tooth eels, it almost always ends badly. My lfs had a banana eel today and I believe it was $700 or $800, so getting your lfs to get you one wouldn't be a bad idea. You really should research the fimbriated eel as they will kill fish and eel alike. Juveniles are one thing, but mature adults are another. Even in the wild juvi eels hang together, but as they mature become more solitary and territorial.

OP
OP
S

Sheehanigans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a fimbriated eel, also called a yellowhead, and they are very aggressive. I do not recommend lions or puffer with fang tooth eels, it almost always ends badly. My lfs had a banana eel today and I believe it was $700 or $800, so getting your lfs to get you one wouldn't be a bad idea. You really should research the fimbriated eel as they will kill fish and eel alike. Juveniles are one thing, but mature adults are another. Even in the wild juvi eels hang together, but as they mature become more solitary and territorial.
after looking at what i could find out online that is what i was guessing it was instead of the leopard eel like the LFS had it labeled, i only got it a week or two ago i will see if they can take it back as i was unaware of the aggressiveness with them, thanks

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back