Banded Bamboo shark tank size

Crazysharklady

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently have a bamboo egg in a 60 gallon. About 2 weeks from hatching.

Getting plan together for the forever home.

My hearts set on a 72x30x30 (280 gallons)

Some people say that's adequate and some say heck no. (Google says 180 gallons is fine but I have a heart lol)

Your thoughts????

Do yo my hallways desighn I could squeeze a 76x32x30. (325 gallons)

But that's the best I likely can do.

The 72x30x30 includes a gorgeous stand and canopy and is $5300 usd after taxes delivered and set up (this does not include any filtration)

I have not priced a 76x32x30 yet, but I assume under 6k usd

Opinions on these tank sizes for 1 banded Bamboo shark and 1 blue spotted stingray

(Stingray is a want but not a must have)
I have 2 banded bamboo sharks (2yrs old) and 3 marbled (6months old) in a 300 gal. I hatched them all from eggs in a 125. I'm building a shark pond now, like the touch a shark ponds at the aquarium. If you get a stingray make sure it is de-barbed. My California stingray killed my 3yr old banded last year

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say that the 280 is sufficient, and the 325 isn't really a huge difference with those dimensions. I think the most important thing is that you scape the tank in a way that allows it to have a lot of space on different levels, etc.
The problem with the brown banded ones is that they get pretty big when they mature (especially if you see them in person). But they may not get as big in that size of tank.
I've done a lot of research because one day I really want a catshark tank/indoor pond.

Depending on if it is a male or female and what is maxes out at you can always rehome it. Which will be tough, but you can be selective and if the home is really good and the person isn't an idiot and can care for it then you'll be happy knowing it'll go to a good home, and you can try another shark such as a coral cat or marbled cat from an egg which stay smaller.
I hesitate on the ray. I love Blue spotted rays, but they get pretty big, and I feel like you want some rock work for the shark to travel through, and that might interfere with the ray and it's happiness (cuz they get BIG) I was shocked how big they get in aquariums.
But I would hold off on the ray, and the shark should be fine.
If you give it love and care you should be good. Often those sharks cannot even get out of the egg on their own, and you are giving it a chance to live, and not have to worry about predators.

Lmk if you have more questions. You can also personal message me. I did sooo much research. Too much probably since one day I really want a catshark. I absolutely love them :)

(You could also consider an indoor 300 G rubbermaid pond, but not sure if the look appeals to you).

OP
OP
killemall

killemall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say that the 280 is sufficient, and the 325 isn't really a huge difference with those dimensions. I think the most important thing is that you scape the tank in a way that allows it to have a lot of space on different levels, etc.
The problem with the brown banded ones is that they get pretty big when they mature (especially if you see them in person). But they may not get as big in that size of tank.
I've done a lot of research because one day I really want a catshark tank/indoor pond.

Depending on if it is a male or female and what is maxes out at you can always rehome it. Which will be tough, but you can be selective and if the home is really good and the person isn't an idiot and can care for it then you'll be happy knowing it'll go to a good home, and you can try another shark such as a coral cat or marbled cat from an egg which stay smaller.
I hesitate on the ray. I love Blue spotted rays, but they get pretty big, and I feel like you want some rock work for the shark to travel through, and that might interfere with the ray and it's happiness (cuz they get BIG) I was shocked how big they get in aquariums.
But I would hold off on the ray, and the shark should be fine.
If you give it love and care you should be good. Often those sharks cannot even get out of the egg on their own, and you are giving it a chance to live, and not have to worry about predators.

Lmk if you have more questions. You can also personal message me. I did sooo much research. Too much probably since one day I really want a catshark. I absolutely love them :)

(You could also consider an indoor 300 G rubbermaid pond, but not sure if the look appeals to you).

After seeing a 2 foot bamboo shark swimming in a 84x30x16.....yea..I'd say 72x30 is actually more than big enough.

I'm gonna change my dimensions a bit as looking down on the shark was freaking amazing.

So I was gonna do a 72x30x30

But now I think I would prefer a 76x32x20

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After seeing a 2 foot bamboo shark swimming in a 84x30x16.....yea..I'd say 72x30 is actually more than big enough.

I'm gonna change my dimensions a bit as looking down on the shark was freaking amazing.

So I was gonna do a 72x30x30

But now I think I would prefer a 76x32x20
Yeah, I'd go for a shallow tank. You can also hopefully hand feed the shark, and more easily interact with it (which may be easier since you're raising it from an egg). I think you should really plan out a good scape. I think that's the key. Really play around with it, and make sure it is locked in before transferring the shark.

Also I think nutrition, vitamins, and water quality may play a big part.
I'd look into products like Dr. Tims First Defense. It really helps fish and their disease prevention, and overall health (especially for transferring the shark and making sure water quality is up to par)
But also just make sure you have shark vitamins/iodine supplements to ensure the shark is healthy.
And maybe consider buying some adult baby brine shrimp online to feed it when it's small, as well as maybe some small/medium nerite snails for some natural food.

Sorry for all the info some of which you may already know. But hopefully this goes well!

As far as tankmates. You can definitely find some good/cool shark mates.
An engineer goby might be pretty sweet (as a good eel alternative) and shouldn't bother the shark.
But if you want an eel I'd suggest a Zebra Eel (do your research though) But i've heard they are very peaceful (most likely the most peaceful) eels.
I'd stay clear of tangs since their nippers. Maybe a valentini puffer would work (since they're small and peaceful), but puffers are HUGE nippers and may think the shark is a rock if it's chilling.
(sorry you didn't ask for this, but I'm just thinking of other cool things to add)
:)

Jcar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's easier to feed when newly hatched in a smaller tank. I hatched my coral cat in a 55 and then moved him to his pond. You can make sure he's eating and finds his food when the tank isn't huge. You will probably find that out soon though. I started with shrimp and then moved to LRS nano frenzy he goes nuts for it. I also put a tang and clown fish in with him to eat any leftover scraps/peices after feeding. Pretty sure he actually likes having tank mates he just came out the rock work and stared at the newcomers when they got added. Try and feed them as separately as possible until they are all settled together. Shark is definitely a cool fish to hatch and raise. I'm looking for a bamboo egg myself. Post pics I think the people on here like seeing the sharks and their setups

Crazysharklady

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the footprint of your 300g and thank for stingray advice
Absolutely! 96LX30WX24H. Make sure you get live ghost shrimp for the first few months. We order ours from Petsmart 100 for $24 so it's not terrible. It sucks when you find food the shark loves and they discontinue it/ can't find it. My guys will only eat OmegaOne Alaskan shrimp and they just discontinued it. I got Argentine shrimp from my grocery store and they love it. The one refuses anything else. They have such big personalities. All of mine come right up to the glass as soon as they see me, (except one lol) they really aren't lazy like alot of people say. I also have live rock in my tank for now, even though alot of people say not too. They love hiding, the babies squirm underneath the rocks which I hate, but none have been scratched or injured. Make sure you don't let others get in your head.

OP
OP
killemall

killemall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys!!

I currently have a 60g with 3 snowflakes...a 1,250g cemented pond with goldfish and koi..then some small guppy breeding tanks.

As far as letting people get in my head..no ways.

I've kept several large monitor lizards over the past 20 years. I'm talking bigger than dog size for some if them. My current is a asian water monitor.

A Bamboo shark feels normal in contrast to the monitors.

I was just thrown off by some sources saying 180 gallons and others saying 400 gallons..

That's a huge price difference. I could get a 180 gallon set up and running for half the price of a 300g

I think the truth is you need a minimum of 180g......but it better be 78x32x16 inches

From what I saw of the recent 25 inch shark...an average 35 incher would have been more than fine in the 84x30x16 it was in....easily.

I wanted 30 inches tall because it's amore beautiful look. But now after looking down on the shark pond style at the pet store...man that's such an important aspect of viewing!!!! So 20 inches tall max!!

This is actually great because a 76x32x20 is 120ish gallons less than a 76x32x30...

Since this will be on the second floor losing that 800 pounds in additional water weight really serves in my favor.

Plus less material so I'm hoping a bit cheaper as well.

I'll be sure to update

OP
OP
killemall

killemall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be looking at an 800 gallon 10x4 foot aquarium tomorrow.

If all goes well I'll buy it.

Close to my house and fully decked out 2

OP
OP
killemall

killemall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pic

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220121-202908_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20220121-202908_Messages.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 72
OP
OP
killemall

killemall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll probally add a baby smooth hound shark. Throw in my 3 snow flakes and a few colorful shark safe fish.

Maybe 8 animals total swimming about.

Easier to keep everything clean

OP
OP
killemall

killemall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coordinating all transport is the hard part.

The actual rank is 120Lx36wW30H

562 gallons

The sump is 180

So not quite as big as I first thought but still a monster.

As far as I know the deal is complete

Crazysharklady

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coordinating all transport is the hard part.

The actual rank is 120Lx36wW30H

562 gallons

The sump is 180

So not quite as big as I first thought but still a monster.

As far as I know the deal is complete
I'm sure, that tank is still a monster. That's awesome! be sure to post pics when it's all set up.

OP
OP
killemall

killemall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
562 gallons was definitly the biggest tank I've ever seen in someone's house.

It gets transported to my house tomorrow.

I get the tank stand canopy and sump and pump.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 52.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.9%
Back