Bandit's 75g reef tank build

Fishn28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The adventure begins!

For just about a year I've had a 40g breeder running successfully, but I need more... When I first started I feel as if I rushed the process and may have caused problems for myself down the road that were easily avoidable, so now I restart.

My tank will not have a sump but rather a HOB Filter, it's going to be a relatively low tech setup as I look to continue building this tank for years to come.

The tank was free from a friend and came with a stand (can't get much better than that!)

Equipment I will be using:
Lights - 3x Hipargero 3rd gen (used these on the 40 and grew just about everything, including SPS)
Filter - SeaChem Tidal 110
Wave makers - 1x Jebao SLW-10 and 1 or 2 amazon off brands (these worked well on my 40)
Heater - Eheim Jager

Live rock - Currently have 50 lbs, will most likely purchase about 10-20 more lbs

Sand - 60lbs special grade live sand

potential livestock
Corals - Just about anything... if it looks good and I have the room and parameters it's coming home with me

Fish - I've had a rough time deciding on what fish to add to this tank so this list is tentative and I look to add more to it (recommendations accepted)
2 occ. clowns
YWG and Shrimp pair
Neon Wrasse
Diamond goby
Tang (undecided)
One spot Foxface (only until it is about 6 inches in size)

Any input is appreciated, thanks!

IMG_4783.jpeg IMG_4784.jpeg IMG_4814.jpeg IMG_4815.jpeg IMG_4102.jpeg

Wooden Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm envious, a 75 gallon set up is what I want my first reef aquarium to be. I really like the wood laminate tank bracing with the old wood stand there, some T5 lights would complete the "classic look" if you decide to go that direction. As for the tangs, I pray you choose a Tomini as that is my favorite salt water fish (well, it's tied with the flame angel).

OP
OP
Fishn28

Fishn28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm envious, a 75 gallon set up is what I want my first reef aquarium to be. I really like the wood laminate tank bracing with the old wood stand there, some T5 lights would complete the "classic look" if you decide to go that direction. As for the tangs, I pray you choose a Tomini as that is my favorite salt water fish (well, it's tied with the flame angel).
I am a big fan of both of those fish, maybe even adding a flame angel wouldn't be so bad... if they leave the corals alone

OP
OP
Fishn28

Fishn28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 40g breeder is an amazing place to start, I wouldn't recommend any tangs unfortunately.

BUT you can help yourself to clownfish, blennies, gobies, small wrasse, grammas, dottybacks, and maybe even a flame angel!!

OP
OP
Fishn28

Fishn28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got the rocks into the tank!

the stocking list has taken some hits…
after a trip to my lfs we decided to replace the foxface and scopas in favor for a two spot tang and a yellowfin tang

looking to add water and sand in the coming days

IMG_4830.jpeg

OP
OP
Fishn28

Fishn28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been awhile since my last update and a lot has happened…

fish have been added
2 occ clowns
cherub angelfish
tomini tang
goldrim tang
YWG

corals are also in!

everything looks happy, and the diatoms have started growing so I added some apocalypse pods

Attachments

• IMG_4859.jpeg
    IMG_4859.jpeg
    108.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4862.jpeg
    IMG_4862.jpeg
    109.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4851.jpeg
    IMG_4851.jpeg
    142.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4852.jpeg
    IMG_4852.jpeg
    146.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4849.jpeg
    IMG_4849.jpeg
    43.1 KB · Views: 18
OP
OP
Fishn28

Fishn28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Future additions (if you have any thoughts or experience with these fish please feel free to respond)

exquisite fairy wrasse
longnose hawkfish
Possibly 1 lyre tail anthias
some sort of grouping fish

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 146 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back