Jasonak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
https://maps.app.goo.gl/m8dA7ejkn7hk7CWZ8
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
I have a 300 gallon tank. I have pair of Bangai that have bred. Male has mouth full cant say how far he is but he has been hiding for last week or so.
I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how I would possibly catch some of the fry ? Anyone dealt with this before ?
thanks

would something like these work for artificial urchin

Last edited:

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thumps up emojii 25.png
Congradulations!

None of the links work but you might try getting a bunck of plastic "pick-up-sticks", paint them black and use hot glue to stick them to a rock. Once the male relaeses the babies you might beable to gently move the whole thing with babies into a submerged container and move them to a refugium or other tank to grwo them out. I've had a friend try to move tha male and it only spit out the babies in the display tank which didn't have good results.

OP
OP
Jasonak

Jasonak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
Thank you for responding, I had these guys in a 40 breeder that I use as a QT tank setup. I moved them over to the display about 2 months ago. Should have left them in the breeder I guess lol. The links were for fake anemones and a fake spiky plant. The dad is staying under a large monti shelf no way id ever catch them and figured if I tried that the results would be something like what you mentioned. Thought id put plants inside a fish trap I have and hope the fry might swim in there.
Thank you for the DIY idea :)

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very cool! Best of luck with this!!

Psychotic Madman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates on whether this worked. Mine have just spawned and i would like to try rearing them.

Psychotic Madman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for that. I managed to get him into a breeder net without spitting. Will see how it goes and report back.

Kmst80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was using the 40 as a QT tank and had a outbreak of velvet which took out most of the fish so I never transferred them over.
He has another mouthful right now I never saw any fry from the last one.
I got my banggai's consistently breeding in the dt. I set me an alarm for 24 days after he is not eating anymore and then I look out every morning for baby banggai. I do that until he eats again what could last until day 32. He always starts to spit only a couple and then at the end the big bunch. My best catch was 14, others 2, 8, and so on. I tried the fake urchin, waste of time. The trick is he releases the fry just before dawn so you gotta get the torch ready. And look properly, fry are eyes with a tiny belly. Mine like hiding against the glass in the gravel, my bta, found one in the centre of my tube anemone and don't forget to look into the filter socks.
After he is done he challenges my purple tang and foxface for food, she gives him usually around 8-10 days and here we go again.

OP
OP
Jasonak

Jasonak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this dude in my sump today. He made it through my screens on the overflows. Filter socks and past my skimmer and UV pump through the baffles to the center of my sump into caulerpa land :) Only reason I found him as I was getting rid of my caulerpa to keep my nitrates up and there he was. Totally awesome !

20231116_162700.jpg 20231116_162740.jpg 20231116_162641.jpg

Last edited:

Kmst80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this dude in my sump today. He made it through my screens on the overflows. Filter socks and past my skimmer and UV pump through the baffles to the center of my sump into caulerpa land :) Only reason I found him as I was getting rid of my caulerpa to keep my nitrates up and there he was. Totally awesome !

20231116_162700.jpg 20231116_162740.jpg 20231116_162641.jpg
He's a keeper, tough as breed.:beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
I fished out one of my babies from the centre of a tube anemone, must have thought this is a long spine urchin.

SaltBabies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratz on the surprise baby. You can also try a collector as well as a fake urchin. They are attracted to light when very young so after lights out. shine a bright light in one spot and they may come if they haven't already been eaten by parents and other fish.

OP
OP
Jasonak

Jasonak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratz on the surprise baby. You can also try a collector as well as a fake urchin. They are attracted to light when very young so after lights out. shine a bright light in one spot and they may come if they haven't already been eaten by parents and other fish.
Parents will eat them ?

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 150 75.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 8.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 29 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back