BANGAII CAN'T SWIM

Bear Claw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Bangaii was doing absolutely fine all of yesterday and then I found him like this on the bottom of my tank! He's still breathing and actually tried to eat, but he can't swim. He is moving though. He's trying really hard to swim but he jut can't. Im assuming that my other bangaii beat him up. He looks pretty rough. Most of his scales are off I think. And his pupils are super dilated. I really want to help him and revive him but Im not sure it will happen. Thoughts?
tempImagejybFNR.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My Bangaii was doing absolutely fine all of yesterday and then I found him like this on the bottom of my tank! He's still breathing and actually tried to eat, but he can't swim. He is moving though. He's trying really hard to swim but he jut can't. Im assuming that my other bangaii beat him up. He looks pretty rough. Most of his scales are off I think. And his pupils are super dilated. I really want to help him and revive him but Im not sure it will happen. Thoughts?
tempImagejybFNR.jpg
Unfortunately to say and often the case with bangaii cardinals- this fish which lives a good 2 years is moribund and will likely not be able to eat or swim normal at this point and likely not recover. There is nothing that can be recommended to perk it up. You can apply air stone for added oxygen but again- recovery is slim

OP
OP
B

Bear Claw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately to say and often the case with bangaii cardinals- this fish which lives a good 2 years is moribund and will likely not be able to eat or swim normal at this point and likely not recover. There is nothing that can be recommended to perk it up. You can apply air stone for added oxygen but again- recovery is slim
I think Im going to keep a close eye on him and keep him in my qt tank. He actually did eat just a sec ago. It was like one bite and it was right in front of his face but still. Are there any kinds of medications that might help?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I think Im going to keep a close eye on him and keep him in my qt tank. He actually did eat just a sec ago. It was like one bite and it was right in front of his face but still. Are there any kinds of medications that might help?
Unfortunately none in its condition. If it were bacterial, some meds can be absorbed but this fish is moribund

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You could try kanaplex - or neoplex - which can be absorbed through the skin - I don't see a point in copper, dips, etc. As Vetteguy said - he is in a sad situation.

OP
OP
B

Bear Claw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try kanaplex - or neoplex - which can be absorbed through the skin - I don't see a point in copper, dips, etc. As Vetteguy said - he is in a sad situation.
Unfortunately none in its condition. If it were bacterial, some meds can be absorbed but this fish is moribund
He didn’t make it . Thank you for all the help. Hope he’s in a better place now.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
He didn’t make it . Thank you for all the help. Hope he’s in a better place now.
Sorry to hear but it was evident that this would happen. Bangaii as mention rarely recover in this state

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 146 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back