Banggai Cardinal carrying babies

  • Thread starter Thread starter bubbaque
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Joined
Apr 6, 2016
Messages
6,362
Reaction score
20,892
Location
Central Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was really hard to get a shot with the mouth open any wider to see the babies. I figured I would share what I was able to capture. For those who are not aware, the male will carry the eggs and babies in their mouth. You can see a couple in there.

DSC_0076-2.jpg
 
Last edited:
Nice!! Sometimes they eat the babies. You can remove them and incubate the eggs using a tumbler. This way is safer for the fry.
IMG_3260.JPG
 
The two banggais I have seem to mate all the time. I never see the babies usually because I am sure the other fish gobble them down. A couple fell out of his mouth yesterday and the other fish instantly ate them.

Raising the banggai cardinals seems like it would be a full time job, lol. Don't they need special food to eat?
 
Yes! In the beginning you have to feed them with live baby brine shrimp every 3-4 times per day. They can starving in just one day without food.
 
Great photos!! Thanks for sharing!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 8 5.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 55 34.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new