Banggai Cardinal Fish necropsy.

ss88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Anything within these microscope slides of a Banggai Cardinal Fish necropsy seem concerning? I noticed what appears to be red filaments, found within the gills, liver, and intestines. Also the intestinal track appears very opaque to me.

History:

Fish refused to eat for 90+ days, body weight appeared normal. Ultimate cause of death mechanical damage from attempting to place specimen with another Banggai Cardinal Fish to stimulate feeding response. Even though the specimen was removed within 30 mins, it exhibited a moribund state and death transpired within 12hrs. Pre and post proziqnatal treatment, I noticed the specimen forcefully tussis. Unfortunately I was not available to preform an immediate necropsy and the specimen was preserved for 24hrs at 30-25f, thus some pathology data is lost.

Slide A, gill.
Slide B, gill.
Slide C, intestinal.
Slide D, intestinal.
Slide E, swim bladder.
Slide F, liver.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see anything of note other than the red strands. The only red parasite I’ve ever seen were a species of nematode, but those are pointed at both ends, not squared off.
How many of those did you see inside the fish?
My first thought is some sort of contamination. I once reviewed some slides for somebody that showed little green coiled strands…turned out they were filaments from an algae scrubbing pad. Brine shrimp eggs also send people on goose chases.

The 90+ days of not eating is really odd - implies a chronic issue, but I’m surprised it lived that long with no food.

There is the cardinal iridovirus, but that causes an acute infection, the fish die very quickly.

Jay

OP
OP
S

ss88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yeah, likely contamination of some type.
Four total.
Interesting point, body mass looked unchanged.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 43 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 155 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.1%
Back