Bare Bottom 120-150gallon reef

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Like above says if you had this tank and had a reasonable budget what would you put in here if this was a mixed reef. I need ideas for what o stock in my new tank. Rn i have a foxface lo, melenarus wrasse, 2 black clarki clownfish:)

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd add some fairy wrasses (use a social acclimation box to prevent issues with the melanurus), I'd put in a blenny or two ... starry, midas, tailspot come to mind - and utilize the environment differently, so may get along better than you'd think. I'd maybe try a harem/trio of royal grammas, and would certainly add some shrimpgobies - preferably with a pistol shrimp (Edit... barebottom, I might leave out the shrimp). I might add a Watanabe's angel which is pretty darned coral-safe, or a flame or coral beauty which are a tad more risky. Might add a small group of mellower anthias, as well, possibly a copperband butterfly, and a bristletooth or smaller Zebrasoma tang. I'd also consider a bonded pair of firefish or a small group of zebra or blue gudgeon dartfish. I'd think about small groups of azure or Talbott's damselfish, two of the mellower damsels.

~Bruce, who has some of these fish dancing in his 220 ... and all of them dancing in his head!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be able to keep a purple tang.

I would hope you have a container of sand for the melanurus, as they are a burying species.

Other suggestions include a group of dispar anthias, a group of Zebra or scissortail dartfish, a few species of fairy and flasher wrasses, a few Chrysiptera damsels(azure, springeri, tricincta).

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back